Sign in to follow this  
SWG EiF

[SWG] News! • Re: Friday Feature 4/27/2018: Anniversary Memories

1 post in this topic

I played on Live only two or three times, and briefly each time. I don't remember when exactly, but it was fairly early. 2004...2005, maybe?

I had found out about it from an issue of the Star Wars Insider magazine (which I still have). Didn't know what it was, didn't know what an MMO was, but it sounded pretty amazing. Insider ran some more feature articles about it over the next few issues, and I read them religiously. I wanted to play it so badly. Even got the demo disc with one of the issues. Problem was, we didn't have the Internet at the time, and I couldn't talk my folks into paying for that and the $15 a month subscription. So I just read those articles over and over, wondering what else you could do in the game.

I remember obsessing about it to one of my friends whom I had recently converted into a Star Wars fan. He talked his mom into letting him get it and we conspired to get together one weekend to play it. He lent me the instruction manual — which was thick as a book — and I spent a week reading through it, not understanding a lick of it, but getting excited all the same.

When the day came, we could only play for a few hours (being back in the good old days when you couldn't use the internet and the phone at the same time). We started on the Ahazi server and the character creation blew my little mind. I made a human (because I was boring back then, too) named Roho Cilana and sent him off to Anchorhead because, "Hey! That's a place I know but have never seen! And now I can go there! That's soooo amazing!"

Having no idea what we were doing or where we were going, we ran poor Roho out into the desert. The running animation is forever burned into my brain. Eventually we stumbled upon a player house with the owner at home. He invited our character in, showed us around, talked to us for a bit, and gave us a landspeeder. First person I ever communicated with over the Internet. I wrote his name down so I'd remember it in case I ever got a copy of Galaxies myself: Ihoo Oabi.

But I never did. Eventually I graduated high school, started doing life stuff and just kind of forgot about Galaxies. Later I'd find out about the Emu scene, but that's another story altogether....

Statistics: Posted by AgentOrangeJuice — Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:14 pm

View the full article

Sign in to follow this