Sign in to follow this  
Cavadus

The Nerdiest Shit You Do

9 posts in this topic

...so I was crazy into transformers as a kid.  They were my jam.  I grew up every slightly too young for the original generation one run but I rent the G1 series religiously as a child.  They were easily my favorite toys.  I played with them hard growing up and I watched the shit out of Beast Wars/Machines even though I was in junior high at the time.

Fast forward a million-billion years (2010) and I had gotten out of the Army for the second time.  I went to purchase a few toys for my cousin's kids to play with when they came over and naturally gravitated towards Transformers.  Picked up five or six.  No kids ever came over who wanted to play with them and they just sat in a bag in a closet.

And another six years rolls onward and I decided to ebay them.  Turns out one was worth a good little chunk of money.  Sold it and said to myself, "Self, Transformers are kinda cool.  Think of them like a puzzle.  Think of the engineering that goes into these things," and I started transforming the two or three I had left.

Sold two for around two-hundo or so combined.  Had the moeny in my PayPal account and then I started playing a dumb Transformers mobile game mostly at school.  Probably enjoyed it more than I should have and it prompted me to rewatch the original cartoon which turned out to be ridiculously enjoyable.  I had never caught all of the adult humor slid in there before.

So after that I said, fuck it, lets buy some figures.  And I did.  And it's been stupidly enjoyable.  As an adult I approach them as a puzzle and try to transform them without any instructions.  Even my wife has been picking them up lately and trying to transform them.  Hell, my in-laws were here recently (as of this post) and my mother-in-law was enjoying herself while trying to transform a few.

So it's kinda snowballed into this enormous battle playing itself out on my piano:

transformers01.jpg

I counted it up and I have twenty-four figures on display plus two in the box plus six assembled into a combiner in my basement.

I've very much enjoyed it thus far for some reason.

So that's the nerdiest shit about me that I can think of you.  How about you?

So, I'm a bit of a technophile. I'm hugely into the latest tech and IoT (The internet of things), so that explains why I leave the house with a phone, a tablet, and a smartwatch (all Android) every single day.

Recently, I purchased a Raspberry Pi, which is a small credit card sized computer that can do some pretty amazing stuff. THus far, I've used it as a desktop computer,learn the Python coding language, a classic gaming console, and it can even be used for many, MANY other uses. Currently, I'm learning how to set up my own web and email server for pennies a day (cost of domain registry).

I've also been looking into the possibility of using using this tech in conjunction with Amateur (HAM) radio, which is another nerdy thing I'm getting into. I don't have much experience in yet, so I'm not so inclined to talk about.

So, I'm a bit of a technophile. I'm hugely into the latest tech and IoT (The internet of things), so that explains why I leave the house with a phone, a tablet, and a smartwatch (all Android) every single day.

Recently, I purchased a Raspberry Pi, which is a small credit card sized computer that can do some pretty amazing stuff. THus far, I've used it as a desktop computer,learn the Python coding language, a classic gaming console, and it can even be used for many, MANY other uses. Currently, I'm learning how to set up my own web and email server for pennies a day (cost of domain registry).

I've also been looking into the possibility of using using this tech in conjunction with Amateur (HAM) radio, which is another nerdy thing I'm getting into. I don't have much experience in yet, so I'm not so inclined to talk about.

So, looks like we have some similar interest. I have about 3 Rasp. Pis, a Pine a64, 2 C.H.I.P.s, an Omega2 (preordered) and some arduino stuff. More shit than I can even find a project for.

As for HAM radio, I have been licensed since 2008 and currently a General class. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll help where I can.

So, looks like we have some similar interest. I have about 3 Rasp. Pis, a Pine a64, 2 C.H.I.P.s, an Omega2 (preordered) and some arduino stuff. More shit than I can even find a project for.

As for HAM radio, I have been licensed since 2008 and currently a General class. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll help where I can.

I plan on buying a few more RPi's, as I plan on setting up a permanent web/mail server, having a transportable Desktop computer (probably a RPi-Zero in this configuration and one running Kali Linux with a TFT screen for Network Penetration testing and general exploratory engineering needs. 

I've also looked into building a PirateBox just for kicks and giggles. 

I would really love to make a setup to where I can use it in Urban setting if SHTF, to where I can hack into a wifi network and use it for emergency comms, and have it look like the Division mini-computer on the slingpack.

I plan on buying a few more RPi's, as I plan on setting up a permanent web/mail server, having a transportable Desktop computer (probably a RPi-Zero in this configuration and one running Kali Linux with a TFT screen for Network Penetration testing and general exploratory engineering needs. 

I've also looked into building a PirateBox just for kicks and giggles. 

I would really love to make a setup to where I can use it in Urban setting if SHTF, to where I can hack into a wifi network and use it for emergency comms, and have it look like the Division mini-computer on the slingpack.

Check out the C.H.I.P. computer as well. It is cheaper than the RasPi and smaller and can be built into a PirateBox.

Edit: In addition to being smaller and cheaper, it has built in wifi and bluetooth!