Revoco

Airsoft versus paintball

Airsoft versus Paintball  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Paintballing...

• is fucking awesome!
    • is for children!
    • a distant second to Airsoft.
    • is difficult to score. (keep track of points)
  2. 2. Airsoft...

• is fucking Awesome!
    • is for children!
    • is like a crappy version of paintball.
    • is difficult to score. (keep track of points)

11 posts in this topic

I've never paintballed before, and have slight personal experience with airsoft, but watched a ton of both.

From the looks of it if you want something that feels like mil-sim go airsoft, if you want a fun, quick day of shooting your friends most people do paintball.

Airsoft is definitely more of a long term hobby while paintball is something you go do for a party one time. Paintball you can get everything you need loaned no worries, airsoft has a ton of equipment, clothing, guns, mods, ammo, magazines, grenades, etc. I love airsoft because it is much more military-like and serious. Guns are very diverse and extensive and can be modded to heck and back. Airsoft is best played at an outside location because almost all outside locations have realistic "maps" to play on. Paintball is very... arcade like. Lots of neon colors and blow-up random shaped cover pieces that you hide behind and spam the trigger.

I'm personally much more of an airsoft person as it is so much more realistic, but just go youtube some matches of both and see what style you like more. For a group of friends on one afternoon paintball is easier and probably cheaper.

I have paintballed a lot in my day and it is a great time, that might be mainly due to airsoft being illegal in Canada, or highly restricted, not sure exactly. The main difference between airsoft and paintball is that airsoft uses paint bullets and paintball uses paint balls.....paintball can be fairly cheap though, so I would recommend that option for sure, as it can be played indoors or outdoors, and the paintballs themselves are usually quite cheap, especially if your allowed to bring your own and you buy them online by the case and split the cost with a few people. I still have my paintball gun, its an M4A1 Replica paintball gun, and it won be many matches hahaha.

The package I was looking at for Airsoft was $260 for 6-10 players with gear included for a 2 hour session. Paintball ends up being a little more expensive, but thats just cause theres no packages at the place nearest me. They have this one mode of play where each team gets a different mystery objective that looks cool.

I had an airsoft gun that was a true replica of the Colt Commando. Had some very realistic gun battles with it. People didn't like me shooting them in the dick though (my high ready would sag a bit when I got tired so my quick reaction shots would be quite low...hehe).

Overall, the environment for airsoft will be much more tactical and you will find many more vets that participate over paintball (in my experience). I was always a front line pusher for a retired First Sergeant who would take charge and loved how I would work my way behind enemy lines. He knew where he sent me; knew I made it there; and knew to send me tactical support ASAP so I wouldn't end up getting overrun once the enemy figured out that they needed to focus on me before they could safely push. Was some of the most fun I have had in years!

I used to love paintball, but once I actually trained in the infantry, I found that I couldn't play paintball well because I was too cautious. With airsoft I didn't have that problem. Paintballs explode on hitting a leaf, and don't count unless they explode from impact on the player. Airsoft will pass through leaves and still hit you. Airsoft also requires people to be much more honest, but given the higher amount of vets playing, honesty was only an issue with the kiddies.

Awards

Finally did the Airsoft thing. It was actually pretty great. I was amused by how much peoples personalities played into their strategies. I will say I have never sweat so much in my life, but then again I never ran around that much in such heavy clothing. Kind of gave me a new outlook on military service. Are all solders just constantly soaked?

Are all solders just constantly soaked?

Yeah, it needs to be about 50-55 degrees F to actually move around comfortably in full battle rattle without worry of sweat but even then a couple of contact drills will have you pouring in in 10 or 15 minutes.