Sign in to follow this  
A&BT

[TRP] Alpha Servers Going Offline Temporarily

It is with heavy hearts that we announce today that development The Repopulation has been temporarily suspended and alpha servers are currently offline. As most of you are already aware, Idea Fabrik (the creators of Hero Engine) has been going through some turmoil over the past two months which has caused us to temporarily suspend sales of the game. Servers have remained online, but their ongoing costs are preventing us from keeping them online indefinitely. As a result, the Repopulation’s alpha servers will be going offline until this situation is resolved.

We want to stress that this is not the end of The Repopulation. Our goal remains to ship the product in as timely of a fashion as possible. This situation could take some time to resolve though. We don’t have an ETA for when the issues will be resolved unfortunately, as this is not under our control, but it’s this could stretch out for a little bit of time. 

You probably have a number of questions regarding the current situation and we’ve provided some FAQ style answers to common questions to make things easier to understand.

View the full article

So they gave absolutely no information on the actual issue, but I would have to say that HeroEngine is facing some serious risk of lawsuit here. As someone who had a license to HeroEngine, I was never aware of the potential for these "3rd Party controlled" issues. HeroEngine advertises itself as the ultimate solution in one place, engineered by HeroEngine engineers, and far from reliant upon 3rd party companies beyond standard data center type partnerships.

The combination of the system they engineered is presented as a means to avoid this exact situation as long as HeroEngine's parent company is still in business. Turns out that they simply integrated a multitude of 3rd party systems that are all potential points of failure outside of HeroEngine's control. That sort of false advertisement is not only illegal, but has the potential to destroy every company that uses HeroEngine's services.

I always thought there was something that didn't quite add up with HeroEngine, but I personally believed I wasn't a fan of their pricing plans rather than the issue being that they don't actually develop their entire system in-house. I am very disappointed in yet another game industry example of shitty business practices at the expense of both developers and gamers...

*ADDITION* - I also don't get why it would be costing money for The Repopulation to have Alpha Servers online. The deal with HeroEngine is that HeroEngine handles accounts, all money transactions, and back-end server requirements for a game. This means that if you have 1,000 players, HeroEngine ensures there is enough server hardware to handle that load. Upon increasing of the load, HeroEngine makes the resources available for your game to scale without the developers having to worry about it. HeroEngine does this while taking 30% of all revenue from sales as the sole expense to a developer (other than a small yearly license fee per developer: $100 last I checked).

Awards

So they gave absolutely no information on the actual issue, but I would have to say that HeroEngine is facing some serious risk of lawsuit here. As someone who had a license to HeroEngine, I was never aware of the potential for these "3rd Party controlled" issues. HeroEngine advertises itself as the ultimate solution in one place, engineered by HeroEngine engineers, and far from reliant upon 3rd party companies beyond standard data center type partnerships.

The combination of the system they engineered is presented as a means to avoid this exact situation as long as HeroEngine's parent company is still in business. Turns out that they simply integrated a multitude of 3rd party systems that are all potential points of failure outside of HeroEngine's control. That sort of false advertisement is not only illegal, but has the potential to destroy every company that uses HeroEngine's services.

I always thought there was something that didn't quite add up with HeroEngine, but I personally believed I wasn't a fan of their pricing plans rather than the issue being that they don't actually develop their entire system in-house. I am very disappointed in yet another game industry example of shitty business practices at the expense of both developers and gamers...

*ADDITION* - I also don't get why it would be costing money for The Repopulation to have Alpha Servers online. The deal with HeroEngine is that HeroEngine handles accounts, all money transactions, and back-end server requirements for a game. This means that if you have 1,000 players, HeroEngine ensures there is enough server hardware to handle that load. Upon increasing of the load, HeroEngine makes the resources available for your game to scale without the developers having to worry about it. HeroEngine does this while taking 30% of all revenue from sales as the sole expense to a developer (other than a small yearly license fee per developer: $100 last I checked).

It's simple thee need the cash (every penny) for the lawsuits/lawyers. Their business model didn't include for getting their asses sued off. :(

The actual issue for TRP is that with the license they had it was up to Idea Fabrik to cover the hosting of the game.  Idea Fabrik couldn't afford to keep all of their hosting running hence the shutdown of TRP and the TRP guys never had the cash to buy the full and complete HeroEngine license.

And I agree with Striker; there was always something kind of fishy about HeroEngine.  Performance never seemed that great, the MMO the engine was made for was canceled... it all just seemed weird.

Guest Nashaan

Well technically, worst case scenario would be they give up on it and cancel the game completely. 

As far as I am aware Tsarg, you don't get a refund if you back an early access and it goes tits up. Hopefully, the developers have more faith in their own game than to just cancel it and they do as Cav says and switch engines.

Aha, so the truth comes out:  http://massivelyop.com/2015/12/30/the-repopulation-rejects-blame-for-hero-engines-financial-struggles/

Looks like the chief funder of Idea Fabrik was trying to unload his or her costs onto Above and Beyond Tech, the devs of TRP.  Idea Fabrik asked AT to pay their bills for five months and ABT refused.  The principal funder pulled out and Idea Fabrik shut ABT's servers down.  Pretty fucked up.  Looks like the Hero Engine was a pretty bad choice.

Sign in to follow this