• Announcement

Put here any message that can be a great announcement.

Recommend me an android tablet

Campbell

I'll be starting some (paid) fieldwork in two weeks and I've decided on recent outings that my old HTC Evo makes a terrible platform for gps map viewing.  The primary use of the device will be in the field, displaying GPS maps offline using https://www.pdf-maps.com/android map viewer.  I've never owned a tablet before, and am wondering if you guys have a favorite.  I'm also going to be looking for used ones initially because this thing is likely to get banged up.  If I can't find anything neat in used, I'll consider cheaper and new. 

I love my iPad Air, but I also use a MacBook and my phone is the iPhone 6. This means that all of my mobile devices can communicate seamlessly between each other which is something that Android/Windows cannot do correctly (despite it being something possible since the creation of networking).

Awards

Get a Lifeproof case for whatever model you get. They are expensive, but they have a replacement guarantee if your device breaks from drops under 6 feet and they are waterproof.

While the iPad doesn't have a GPS in it, you can use the GPS on your phone if you have an iPhone and use it as a hotspot for your iPad. I am not sure if you can do the same with an Android phone and the iPad though.

Awards

Get a Lifeproof case for whatever model you get. They are expensive, but they have a replacement guarantee if your device breaks from drops under 6 feet and they are waterproof.

While the iPad doesn't have a GPS in it, you can use the GPS on your phone if you have an iPhone and use it as a hotspot for your iPad. I am not sure if you can do the same with an Android phone and the iPad though.

I don't know about specific phones but there is a ~$100 item that you use in exactly the same way, it is an actual GPS with proper full GPS tech that remotely connects to your phone and functions as your phone/tablet's GPS instead of  the assisted GPS that phones and tablets have.  GPS tech is quite large, does not fit in phones so the tech in your phone is "assisted" by the internet it connects to, which tells it your position and helps it narrow your position down for the GPS so the GPS doesn't have to.  You can test this by turning your internet off and turning the GPS on, it will likely take much longer than usual to get a fix, if at all.  I've noticed this myself in the heavily wooded areas I've been surveying lately.