Sign in to follow this  
Cavadus

MechWarrior Online

So, to preface I was pretty much the biggest fucking BattleTech/MechWarrior nerd ever in junior high school.  Bought every single book, had the board game, source manuals, you name it.

I played Mw3 and Mw4 HARD and even had my first foray as a gaming clan leader there until Mw4 died off.

So I was pretty stoke when I saw the announcement for what was MechWarrior 3015.  It looked awesome.  Don't know what the fuck happened but somehow 3015 turned into MechWarrior Online and I got into the beta very early and was very disappointed.  It was just shallow; a completely typical lobby-based match shooter.  Gameplay seemed about identical to Mw4.  Meh.

But it appears that they're finally getting "community warfare" into the game where gaming organizations can conquer territories on a map of the inner sphere.

Has anyone been keeping up on this game or playing it all?  I got really turned off by the super excessive cash grabbing as the prices for mechs in the store are hella expensive.

But with the introduction of a real meta-game I'm a bit more interested.

Alright, I have a mission for everyone playing MWO:  buy four mechs and make sure they're all inner sphere mechs.  If you're not sure what that means just ask someone knowledgeable about BattleTech/MechWarrior here or in Mumble.

Once enough of us have four mechs purchased we can participate in "community warfare" which is the real meat of the game.  CW is a giant map of the BattleTech galaxy where factions fight each other for control of planets.  There are many factions but they're kinda lumped into broad categories:  clan and inner sphere.  Clan factions can fight with and against one another, inner sphere factions can fight with and against one another, but clan factions and inner sphere factions are always hostile to one another.

Quick breakdown of factions:

Free Rasalhague Republic (House Rasalhague)
Federated Suns (House Davion)

Lyran Commonwealth (House Steiner)
Draconis Combine (House Kurita)

Free Worlds League (House Marik)

Clans are anything that are named "Clan [insertanaimalnamehere]."

Planetary battles require four battlemechs in your bay all setup and ready to go.  When you die in battle you respawn in another one until all of your mechs are destroyed and/or your teams wins or loses.

Also, I picked up a month of premium time and the extrra XP and c-bill payout seems worth it so far.  It's +50% to both.  Makes a HUGE difference for victories.  I've gotten as many as 200k credits from a victory before.

Hmmmm... yeah, the game doesn't seem to denote it anywhere.  

Here's a list.

Inner Sphere Mechs

Light

• Commando
  • Firestarter
  • Jenner
  • Locust
  • Raven
  • Spider

Medium

• Blackjack
  • Centurion
  • Cicada
  • Griffin
  • Hunchback
  • Kintaro
  • Shadow Hawk
  • Trebuchet
  • Vindicator
  • Wolverine

Heavy

• Cataphract
  • Catapult
  • Dragon
  • Jagermech
  • Orion
  • Quickdraw
  • Thunderbolt

Assault

• Atlas
  • Awesome
  • Banshee
  • Battlemaster
  • Highlander
  • King Crab
  • Stalker
  • Victor

Dayum, Max!  I currently have two Blackjacks, a Jagermech, and a King Crab I got from pre-ordering the Resistance pack.  I'm really finding c-bill earning to be quite slow, though.  In a good victor I get 200k, a bad one 150k.  Losses are anywhere from 40k to 100k depending on how well I do but holy grindage for buying mechs.  I guess they really want ya to spend real money.  I really want an Atlas AS7-S and it feels like I'll never have the c-bills to get there.

In MWO news, they released a 64-bit client in today's patch.

Details on how to use it can be found here.

So here's a link to a pretty good newbie tutorial:  https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1bmIEjECA6IbWRm92vmylZNv2QYVc5gXO7CT9jMITOrM/edit?usp=sharing

Also, if you want to build stuff in the mechlab without actually having to buy a mech there's an web-based mechlab which can be found here:  http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/

That link is also nice because you can check on the quirks for all of the variants.

Damn boss, youre gonna make me install the game again. While i never went hardcorr into the game i can say i really enjoyed the gameplay i think having more people to play eith can only make it better considered i stopped playing it mainly cause i had nobody to play it with. I might take advantage of my parents fast internet here in spain to download it again.

Just a heads-up to everyone playing lately but check out:  http://mwomercs.com/tournaments

Make sure you're logged in.  For every match where you get 30 or more points you get a stocking stuffer gift.  You have to go that to page and click on the "redeem" button per match and make sure you check ALL of the tabs (assault, skirmish, conquest, et cetera).

You get some pretty decent gifts.  So far I've gotten about a million c-bills, two days of premium time, and a slew of cockpit items and mech equipment.

Awesome video playlist of a series of guides here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEc0AL2THTbdrLfayW-CgGGLb7-F_dXpC

Definitely recommend.

Also, I'm going to restructure the OP tonight so it's actually informative and a good starting point for people getting into it.

New tournament starting today: https://mwomercs.com/tournaments

• 3 points = 3 days of Premium Time*
  • 30 points = Cataphract CTF-3D© Champion 'Mech (Mech Bay included)

Points are awarded for meeting ALL of the following criteria:

Get 1 or more Kill, get 1 or more Assist, and Win the match via either the Primary or Secondary objectives.

I'm definitely looking forward to this!!

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang, 30 victories with a kill and assist?  Kill and assist isn't even the hard part, it's the damn victories...

looks like I'm going to be staying up pretty late the next few nights.  Luckily I'm taking Monday off so I can really power grind for that Cataphract.

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang, 30 victories with a kill and assist?  Kill and assist isn't even the hard part, it's the damn victories...

looks like I'm going to be staying up pretty late the next few nights.  Luckily I'm taking Monday off so I can really power grind for that Cataphract.

Count me in for the grind during the weekend. I also pre ordered a Resistance pack that had a ton of goodies and will be waiting till it deploys to put those mechs to good use.

Well, I own around 16 mechs right now and have a bunch coming from the Resistance package.  So far I've avoided any Urbanmech purchases.  

I got my three Atlas variants fully mastered: AS7-RS©, AS7-D, AS7-D-DC.

Working on Orions right now (I have the K, M, and VA).  I've got all of them basiced and working on the elites.  Really been enjoying my Hunchback, Centurion, and Vindicators the most lately.  And my lovely Dragon champion mech.  I rip it up in that thing usually.

I failed utterly at the Cataphract champion challenge last weekend.  Kills were impossible to come by.  I posted a 900 damage game in my AS7-RS© and didn't get a single kill.  Also noticed that my win and loss streaks were much longer and much more lopsided during the event.  Sunday night I went 11 straight losses and then logged out due to frustration.

But the group queue has been much kinder lately.  Tsarg and I have been having a pretty decent go of it in there.  Clans have absolutely rofl-stomped us in all of the CW matches we've been in which has been a bummer (I've yet to win a CW match).

Well, I own around 16 mechs right now and have a bunch coming from the Resistance package.  So far I've avoided any Urbanmech purchases.  

I got my three Atlas variants fully mastered: AS7-RS©, AS7-D, AS7-D-DC.

Working on Orions right now (I have the K, M, and VA).  I've got all of them basiced and working on the elites.  Really been enjoying my Hunchback, Centurion, and Vindicators the most lately.  And my lovely Dragon champion mech.  I rip it up in that thing usually.

I failed utterly at the Cataphract champion challenge last weekend.  Kills were impossible to come by.  I posted a 900 damage game in my AS7-RS© and didn't get a single kill.  Also noticed that my win and loss streaks were much longer and much more lopsided during the event.  Sunday night I went 11 straight losses and then logged out due to frustration.

But the group queue has been much kinder lately.  Tsarg and I have been having a pretty decent go of it in there.  Clans have absolutely rofl-stomped us in all of the CW matches we've been in which has been a bummer (I've yet to win a CW match).

I finally sold my Spider mech, I guess I was just not cut out for it. I'm looking forward to your wisdom in which mechs I should acquire next with the sole purpose of having a set of mechs ready for CW due to the TON max I'm afraid my atlas will be unusable unless i stick with 2 light mechs (which I wouldn't want to do) . I've won 2 CW battles so far but without comms and some group tactics I feel each battle is like climbing up the Himalaya with a toothpick on each hand and beach clothes to warm you.

It would be awesome if we could get at least two more people in there to mix it up with us. One thing I like from MWO is the fact that you don't need to be a pro to be able to contribute to your team in a good way. The losses will come at first until you get your XP setup for your mechs and you get practice, but feeling that even a light mech can be a good asset on the field makes this game a good one in my opinion.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this