Sign in to follow this  
Cavadus

Tom Clancy's The Division

I got about half an hour in last night.  UPLAY services were down a lot and they would just die mid-game and throw you out to the menu.  It wasa  bitch to get in because I would just load into a black screen of death.  Only way to get out of it was cycle the power on my PC.  Did this three times.  Then, for the fuck of it, I tried ALT+ENTER to force the client into windowed mode and it actually worked.  Was able to fix the display settings after that.  Then the right speaker of my headset stopped working.  Then my character got stuck between vending machine and a counter-top and there's no un-stick command because it's a console port...

I quit in frustration after that.

But for the tiny bit that actually worked it was cool.  I liked seeing all of the players in the safehouse in the begninning.  Made me actually feel like I wasn't alone.

Well it's good to know those Betas were put to good use and not just marketing schemes XD. It's probably for the best I can't play the first week, but I am confident it'll be a great game after they finish the development that should've been done before launch lol.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I will be in game tonight after work. Had dinner/drinks with the bosses which went late and then had to download the game last night. Gonna try to find a working USB adapter for my Mac right after work. I have to run my headset through my Recon3d USB sound card, but it requires a powered USB etc.

Awards

Well I have been playing the crap out of it and enjoying every minute of it!

Also just want to mention, they announced that the PC version was not a console port and that it was coded from scratch for PC, and I am inclined to believe them because I have had like zero issues in the game, and ports always have stupid bugs.

"Console port" is a difficult term to define these days. Most game engines have cross compilers to compile the code (C++) for different systems. As an example, CryEngine games that are released for PC/XBone/PS4 requires almost no extra work to have releases available on each system. Basically the developer using CryEngine would need to create the configurations for each system's controller for the game to understand the input.

The good developer will develop for testing on PC, fixing bugs in the code that are discovered for PC, and as long as they are within the spec limitations of the console (or can be scaled down from max spec to a console spec), the only bugs that should be in the console version are bugs that are in all versions of the game. In fact, you can make a game with CryEngine that uses every single bleeding edge technology with insane graphics requirements and the builds automatically reduce everything to console appropriate during the build process with no configuration from the developer.

The problem with "console ports" of this day and age are that they are developed with testing purely on the consoles, which means that all the bugs that can and do occur on the wide range of hardware of the PC, due to bad code that wasn't tested properly, isn't noticed until developers are not willing to put forth the time to fix the issues.

So in short...fuck consoles...they continue to hinder gaming on PC in so many ways...

Glad there was enough PC focus on The Division to make it stable for PC.

Awards

Im not sure how that's going to work. I guess I have a conflict of interests. 

On one side I know its really good, cause the people that spend the most time in the game can actually gain something by looting the good stuff and then selling it (or giving it) to other players that do not have enough time to spend on the game.

However on the other side I see what happened with the Diablo 3 auction house and the mess it was. Mainly because it kinda took the fun out of the main pourpose of an RPG game which was actually the loot finding.

I guess time will tell if it is the right way to go or not. I sincerely hope that the positive surpasses the negative so that we may have a long lasting game.

Other random thing.  Apparently it's very easy to cheese through the Lexington mission on challenging because elevators are safe zones.  You can shoot out of them but can't take any damage while in them.

https://www.reddit.com/r/thedivision/comments/4ac64i/guide_how_to_obtain_high_end_gear_quickly_and/

So, y'know the survival pages you find?  If you read them they're actually notes scribbled in the book between a fan and the author.  Like, she made some notes, sent it to the author, and he replied to some stuff.

Anyways, here's the actual book:  http://www.amazon.com/Tom-Clancys-The-Division-Collapse/dp/1452148279

And it's supposed to be fucking awesome.  Like, real survival shit awesome.

On a side note, I'd like to see a big ops night for low level players and all the high level people make alts that haven't already to help out. That way people who joined later can play with everyone else and maybe keep interest for more people.

I am considering getting my char setup for tanking, or at least getting a set of gear for tanking, gonna keep my scavenging stuff for DZ farming for sure, think I might play around with it a bit tonight and see what I can find.

Little bit of info on trading revealed.  Apparently there will be a limited time trading after looting an item.  Unsure of the time but the article implied it would be a short window and only between group members.

That is extraordinarily stupid.

I think it's perfect, personally.  Allows trading between friends but no weird auction house type setups to ruin the game.

The timer part is that part I don't like. Trading only within the group is fine with me. What if I have a cool gun for a long time and eventually replace it. My buddy wants that cool gun I just replaced, but he can't get it, because of some timer.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this