Sign in to follow this  
Cavadus

Tom Clancy's The Division

I need to get a thunderbolt to usb adapter to get my headset working on my Mac. I only have 2 USB ports and they don't allow for composite USB device setup...I guess I will just get some time in on the beta this week to see if it hooks me...was kinda fun for a little bit, but I am not a huge fan of 3rd person cover shooters when they are designed around no scoping on ADS zoom. I know I can use the middle mouse to use the sight, but it is almost pointless so far in the game, if not detrimental, and that is not really my preference for a shooter.

Awards

I need to get a thunderbolt to usb adapter to get my headset working on my Mac. I only have 2 USB ports and they don't allow for composite USB device setup...I guess I will just get some time in on the beta this week to see if it hooks me...was kinda fun for a little bit, but I am not a huge fan of 3rd person cover shooters when they are designed around no scoping on ADS zoom. I know I can use the middle mouse to use the sight, but it is almost pointless so far in the game, if not detrimental, and that is not really my preference for a shooter.

The combat seems a bit streamlined to me as well.  Sure, your character is doing neat things but you aren't really controlling that, you just point and shoot.  

Yeah, I gt what you mean.  When ADS I want to aim down the damn sights, not zoom in on a reticle and hit yet another key to actually use my irons or optics.  That bugged me and the complete fake magnification info on optics bugged me.  For instance, you can get an ACOG in game and it says it has 4X magnification but in practice it's like... 1.5X at best.  Probably even less than that.

I believe that in the XBone version of the game there was an option that allowed you to automatically switch to the sights (anything other than iron sights) whenever you aimed your gun. Im not sure if the same holds true in the PC version. 

While I understand where you guys are coming from, my experience with the game didnt seem to be hindered by the aiming mechanics. I found that in some situations aiming from 3rd person made it actually easier to hit the targets and the only moments I was using the sights was when I wanted to take long shots with a long range rifle.

The only issue I see on the division when it comes to the 47th is that the game mechanics make it almost impossible (unless we can find a way around it) to have a huge group of people playing with each other at the same time. There are not groups bigger than 4 (except for the raids that are rumored to be added to the game which apparently will feature an 8 man group) and im guessing the matchmaking in the dark zones will make it pretty difficult for us all to find each other there in several groups of 4 and wreak havoc like we have done in several other games (defiance, planetside, etc, etc), making it a "no option" for ops nights.

I sincerely hope we can find a way around that and manage to get everyone into the same dark zone so that we can all enjoy both the pve and the pvp aspect of it while taking care of each other. Having 12 people to go on a pve rampage while making it incredibly difficult for other groups to attack us would be incredibly fun. 

The game is definitely fun, but I am really skeptical how long it will stay fun. The random encounters and missions in PvE all are fun, but are nearly identical; shoot some bad guys, activate something, reward. The dark zone is even more repetitive where you run around and look for bad guys at the exact same locations, kill em all, take the loot, extract. The story has not intrigued me whatsoever, and I blame this on the terrible facial animations that don't seem to sync with the audio quite right. Now, they could have a ton more to do with the full game. But, I can't help but try to remember what was so exciting about the game when it was announced. All I can come up with is.. it looks pretty?

Don't get me wrong it is a lot of fun, but it doesn't bring anything new to the table at all. The graphics aren't even surprisingly good anymore just because it took so long for the game to release. I am still going to get it, because I love the random loot drop system they chose to go with. I see myself grinding away for cool loot for quite a lot of time, but I am just not sure if I'll be actually having fun while doing it.

Yeah, the game is a lot of fun on the shooter aspect. I cant say I was particularly invested in the story so far since during the alpha and the beta there were only a handful of missions which I certainly did enjoy and I only hope they can keep me interested with the rest of them.

What actually has me worried is what will happen after you've finished the story. Going through the whole story with the same group of people should be a total blast, and im willing to create a character just for that and have another character for playing when the whole group is not together online. But as far as repeatability goes, thats about it. Once you go through the story and once you reach max level my worry is that there will be absolutely nothing else to do other than go to the dark zone and shoot someone's face. Unless they have come up with something and havent told us, im afraid the end game will suffer from the same fate every other mmo out there suffers from which is lack of end game content.

One thing I dont like though is the fact that they force you to play the story in order to progress your character, basically by making you improve the different wings on your base of operations, meaning that if you were a player that was there merely to enjoy some dark zone pvp and not run the story at all you would be in a huge disadvantage since you would have the gear and the health and the dps, but you wouldnt have the abilities that the base of operations give you when unlocked.

All in all I will buy the game and im sure I will enjoy it a lot, but I guess they could have made some things different, and I hope they actually add other things on the run like daily missions in and out of the dark zone, raids, random long missions (not only short random encounters) requiring you to perform various tasks before completion, not just only kill one guy and thats it.

We will see what the future holds for the game and I hope that the future is bright.

Yeah, I saw that the beta is identical to the last one which kind of tempered my excitement for this weekend a bit.

Gonna stick with Epoch for the short term. I think DayZ is just a few patches away from being amaze-balls and Miscreated had the best long term potential as far as development goes.

I'll hold of on buying it at least a few weeks if not a few months to see other's commitment to the game. The first Fallout 4 DLC will probably drop the first half of next month so I'll have something to do for a while :)

Well just for starters, this game is NOT an MMO, it is an RPG 3rd Person Shooter, so try not to compare it to MMO with end game expectations. They have stated that the beta is only a sliver of the full game, and since the closed beta, they did add in the main mission to unlock the tech wing for this open beta weekend.

Personally I have enjoyed the game a great deal so far, and I look forward to the full release. The Dark Zone may get repetitive, but what game's PvP isn't? At least with this one you can kill NPC's and find loot drops, and open up chests all over the place, then hope you can extract your goods before someone takes you out. It is a lot more fun than most PvP where you just go into some warzone match, and kill each other a bunch of times until one team wins the match.

Anyway, I will be picking this one up and playing it a lot for sure, so anyone else that gets it, will see me on most nights ready and willing to play.

Well, to me if it has a massive amount of player playing at the same time in multiplayer online ......... thats an MMO. Hell, even destiny is considered an MMO with its instanced pvp and instanced missions. But you say potato, i say potahto. The fact is that the game needs to give us "something" to do in an "open multiplayer environment" (sounds kinda like an MMO doesnt it?)  after we have done all the storyline to keep us interested and while I agree that the darkzones mechanics are fun with all the tension about surviving the NPCs and the other players, im just not sure that is going to be enough to keep me hooked to the game. 

As I said, I will buy it with all its DLCs and I will enjoy it, but I expect ubisoft to provide end game content to keep me and my buddies coming back to the game, mainly because im not buying it for a singleplayer campaign to play solo. Im buying it for the premise that I can run with my mates from the 47th through the storyline and then we can test ourselves against increasing challenges in the multiplayer open world. But thats just me and everybody buys a game for different reasons and they are all valid as long as you're having fun.

DLC's will also allow for multiple deployments, which will potentially allow for consistent recruiting, awards, and overall participation in an environment we're already geared for. As I've said multiple times already, I'm gonna be playing this game long term since the decision has been made to support the game.

So after playing a bit this weekend, here are my position on the game:

-Not a fan of the shooting mechanics.  While I like the 3rd person/cover based style, I don't like the implementation of scopes and zoom.  I feel as if it should be one or the other.  It seems as if the scopes provide the same as zoom, just with a cross hair.  The crosshairs becomes pointless, when it takes 4 headshots to take a npc down.

-I don't really like the "survival" aspect of this game.  The fact that ammo and medpacks are primarily refilled by resupply points bothers me.  If they were truly going for a survival aspect of the game, ammo should be more difficult to acquire.  Making the decision to engage random enemies should be more of a cost vs reward.  As it stands, one can engage just about anything knowing that they can just run back to a supply point to get more ammo.  I don't quite understand the "water" mechanic though.  Maybe that adds more depth to survival.

-I am also not a fan of the leveling system.  I know that one of the first rules of any MMO is creating a grind so people have something to work for.  The problem here is that if I shoot someone in the head with a 7.62 rifle, they should be dead.  Not take 50 hit points, and start shooting back.  The areas of the game are also broken up by levels, which splits up progression of a group.  I would have preferred if the areas where split up by difficulty.  Having more difficult AI, requiring to work as a group, or trying to stealth through.  It also makes the pistol next to useless.  A suppressed .45 ACP to the head, should be viable.

-The levels lead into the gear system.  Why the fuck can't I put on a higher level pair of work gloves?  Is there some magical reason that I need to have more experience in killing people to fit my fingers into a pair of gloves?  On that note, why do two of the same pair of work gloves have different properties?  I get that it's a game, and they are trying to make sense of leveling and progression, but I really don't like it.  I also hate the sling bags.  No self respecting warrior would go into combat with a sling bag...

-Not enough varied game play.  Each area that I played became a shoot everything in the face.  I would like it if they allowed for more ways to complete missions.  An example is sneaking in, rescuing the hostage, and sneaking out.  While I have no doubt that they will have varied missions in the final game, I would prefer if they allowed the players to make the decision on how things will progress through a level, not have the mission system dictate how the level would be played.

-Linear Areas.  They have set up movement to be primarily linear.  While there are many ways you can move from one point to another, all of them push you down liner streets.  They don't effectively use the natural vertical environments that New York has to offer.  Imagine a group moving throughout the city using grappling hooks, rappelling ropes, and zip lines.  Or even allow you to use more interiors of buildings to flank, escape, or set up ambushes.

All in all, I think that it will be fun to play for a while, but I think that it will become repetitive quickly.  The live action trailers, and all the literature that I read on the game, implied a much different game than was presented in the open beta.  

Odin my man, I think you might be a little over critical about this game, the shooting mechanics are pretty much the same as Defiance, and none of you ever complained about those. Also this is not an MMO, its an RPG.

The water/food mechanics I thought were not too bad, if you decided to consume them it would give you a buff of some kind, or you could give the stuff to civilians in need and they would give you an item in return, usually a piece of clothing.

As for the map/zones, each zones do have levels associated with them, with higher level mobs in them, the zones are seamless so you only notice it when you first enter the new area.

As for the 1 shot 1 kill aspect, no game would ever do that, because it would make everything way too easy, now if you get a decent sniper rifle and can manage a headshot with it, you can get 1 shot kills, but there is no way a pistol is going to get a 1 shot kill in any game.

I think some of you guys just expect too much from games these days, as an RPG game I found The Division to be quite enjoyable, you level up, find new gear that is level appropriate (like every RPG game in existence), do missions and side missions, upgrade your main base of operations, there is going to be crafting and a few other aspects that were not available in the beta's, like the perk tree. They also stated that the beta was only a sliver of the full game, so I feel there will be lots to do and enjoy.

Personally, I found this game to be way more fun than Arma or DayZ, the player mechanics are way better, motion is way more fluid and realistic, and the level of detail in this game is insane. I will be playing this long term, and hardcore, it is going to be a lot of fun, and we all need to have some fun, everyone is getting way too serious these days. Let us just play together and enjoy it, leave the drama for your mama's! haha

I here what you are saying Bealin.  And truth be told I am too critical about the game.  It wasn't supposed to be a dig on the game so much as an explanation on what I would have preferred.  The Defiance comparison is a good one.  This game seems to be similar to Defiance, though with a cover mechanic.  While that doesn't detract from the game, or make it bad, I feel as if they are pushing this game as a bit more serious, with more of a survivalist element to it than is offered.  It just sits funny with me that it has such an arcade feel to it.

I did have fun in the beta.  It's just that I don't know if it is worth a pre-order or not.  I have a feeling that the game might not have the longevity that I would like from it.  It also seem that Ubisoft designed the game so that it will be an easy transfer to free to play.  While that is an extremely smart move on there part, I don't know how I feel about it yet.

So to summarize all my critical posting:

I had fun in the Beta!

I am not sure if I am going to get the game at launch yet.

Odin, I think you are mixing things up. Mostly on the survival side. While the original ideas (a couple years ago) were to maybe have some sort of survival aspect to the game, those ideas were rejected for a more straightforward shooter aspect. 

On the free to play comment, im not sure I understand. I dont believe that making this game free to play would bring any benefit to ubisoft. No trading among players whatsoever. Im not saying it cant be done, just saying I dont think it would be a smart move from ubisoft.

On the longevity side of things I am right there with you and I feel your pain.

It's not that I think they will add a subscription, it's more that I think that they end up making the game free, while adding microtransactions.  Not so much a negative, just what I expect to happen.  Remember how Defiance went Free to Play?  I can see The Division ending up in a similar place.  All they need is some kind of random loot box mechanic...

I might be wrong, I am just looking at the game through a negative lens right now.  Not sure why.  Maybe because I think that it could have been so much more than it is, or maybe I am just in a bad mood, and need to eat something.

The only real fact that I have right now is the gameplay while fun, may not be worth full retail cost for me.

I see where Odin is coming from. I've had a negative lens about the game overall as well. Maybe it's because I remember how exciting it was to see the first reveal of the game and I just can't remember what was so special about the game anymore. I guess, like Odin, I was hoping for a much more survival based game :/ .

Looking back on the Beta, the biggest thing that let me down was the fact that there wasn't even the ability to crouch. Sure I cans nap onto cover, but every time I walked up on some bad guys I instinctively thought "Oh I should crouch so I can get the drop on these guys... what there's no crouch in this game!? isn't that like a requirement now a days?". I don't know it kind of opened my eyes to how linear the whole game feels. Like Odin was saying I can't even be stealthy while there are suppressors in the game. That was a big disappointment for me.

On the bright side I actually like the loot system with the random generated loot and random perks. It really does feel like Defiance when I am scrounging for loot in the DZ. I really like loot systems like that, and it allows me to invest more time in while have it not feel so grindy. I just wish they could have made it feel less arcade.

Also now that Odin mentions it, I can definitely see this game going free to play. It would be so easy to drop the cost in six months and just sell rare loot boxes or those keys for the good loot boxes in the DZ.... actually... now I think that's exactly why those stupid keys are there, so they can sell them. In fact Ubisoft is probably dying to get a big free to play game out to suck from that market.

Honestly I never thought that the game would get this type of reactions here in the 47th. The moment I saw it and the moment I played it I sincerely thought the 47th would like to play it as a group (if we could get around the matchmaking process on the DZ). Sure the game has its good and bad things (such as the end game or longevity issue that has been discussed), but I woul have never thought that the reaction from the 47th members would be this negative, without pointing my finger at Odin, since basically only 2 people (Lightfoot and Bealin) have actually stated that they WILL buy the game at launch and they WILL play it through and through. 

I personally have the game pre-ordered for the XBone and thought about buying it also on the PC to play with you guys, but based on the general reaction of the 47th to the game I will just stay on the XBone and play it over there.

Honestly I never thought that the game would get this type of reactions here in the 47th. The moment I saw it and the moment I played it I sincerely thought the 47th would like to play it as a group (if we could get around the matchmaking process on the DZ). Sure the game has its good and bad things (such as the end game or longevity issue that has been discussed), but I woul have never thought that the reaction from the 47th members would be this negative, without pointing my finger at Odin, since basically only 2 people (Lightfoot and Bealin) have actually stated that they WILL buy the game at launch and they WILL play it through and through. 

I personally have the game pre-ordered for the XBone and thought about buying it also on the PC to play with you guys, but based on the general reaction of the 47th to the game I will just stay on the XBone and play it over there.

Well I know I have stated I'll be playing it. I won't be able to get it at launch, but I'll get it as soon as I can. I think Odin said he would be getting it as well.

I don't think it's any kind of just flat out hate for the game, as much as expressing some criticisms about the game. I think it's a very healthy thing to criticize games, especially these big time hype AAA games that too often aren't allowed to be criticized. We may have disappointments about the game, but I personally will still be looking forward to playing it quite a bit.

Plus there are other people that have the game pre-ordered and will be playing at launch here on the 47th, they just aren't in this particular discussion. For the record, I would pre-order if I could.

So... I have put in a preorder.  I will be playing on launch, and I will have fun.

Please note that all of my comments were more on what I wanted form the game.  I wasn't trying to convince people not to play it.  I was just mentioning things that I would have either liked to see, or things that concerned me.

Sorry if I came across negative.

I pre-ordered the game.

I do think that Ubisoft misrepresented the complexity that would exist for the combat based on their initial voiced mission video. They made it seem like it would be a much more tactical game than what we have experienced here in the Beta by making it seem like team play with excellent communication and perfect team synergy was the only way to succeed. Now we see that isn't true due to the extremely arcade way they implemented the combat.

I am not sure how long it will keep my attention, but if nothing else I think I will enjoy the main storyline progression. As for microtransactions, that isn't going to happen ever according to Ubisoft. They did say that if there was a change to that statement, it would purely involve clothing and no gear with stats, but even that is not planned at all for the future. I could see them doing that much later down the road when the server costs start chunking away at their profits though.

Awards

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this