Sign in to follow this  
Cavadus

Bug Out Bags

Well in dire situations people (even nice peaceful ones)  can get mean and a concealable something with serious stopping power can back a mob or bear or bad-ass Alien off in a pinch if need be. I do agree on the FAL or equivalent though. :) The GPS sounds about perfect that you're talking about. 

So Cav how are those bug out bags coming along?

I am looking to pick up a nice knife, and a machete, you got any recommendations? I'd probably go with stainless steel over carbon fiber, as it is more rust resistant, and it will probably sit around for long periods of time, haha.

I also want to pick up a bow, probably want to start off with a normal longbow type deal, and work up to a composite bow at some point once I'm better with it.

I think the axe and machete are likely a cheap metal. Most things sold by bud-k are likely to worth more for their looks than durability. For a bugout bag I would look for a better steel. For a combat type knife, I would go with the Ka-Bar BL7 or similar. I do not consider myself anywhere proficient enough with a knife to fight with it and lean for towards the BK10 for more utility. Also, take time to learn about the different types of steels knives are made of. The 1095CV steel on the Ka-Bar is reputed to hold a edge decently while still being fairly easy to sharpen. Some blades will keep an edge forever, but once lost are hard to get back on without the right type of stones/steels. Other types don't hold an edge as well, but can darn near be sharpened on a rock. 

A good blade is a tool, and as such, you need to take into consideration how you are going to maintain that tool and keep it useful. A blunt knife is just a dangerous pry bar. If you plan on having a good sharpener (diamond coated) in your pack a more suitable choice might be a harder steel that has an edge that holds up to use longer. If you don't have to room or want to plan for the eventuality that you loose or break the sharpener, a softer steel that can be sharpened on various surfaces (rock, porcelin, ect) might be the better choice.

Also, look at this Cold Steel Axe. An axe does make a nice close quarters weapon, but I would want one about as long as the linked one (19"). Although I would rather not have to fight up close, if i did I would rather have a little reach. Plus, the leverage offered by the longer handle is better suited for a tomahawk. For something short, like the 8.5" of the tomahawk you linked, a knife would be the better choice I would think. 

Ya, I was not sure how good the metal would be on those ones I linked, mainly why I am asking your guys advice on these, i want to get some nice quality items here, that will last a long time. I do also want a nice sharpening tool to go with this stuff, I am also looking for a nice backpack, I liked the one Cav has in his bug out bag. 

I am also looking into a nice Recurve Takedown Bow, probably a 30-40lb draw to start out with. It may be cheaper to make one myself, but I don't have access to the kind of tools needed for that, so I'd much rather purchase a nice quality one that is built properly haha.

That cold steel axe is pretty sweet by the way, I definitely know I don't want to purchase anything with a cheap plastic handle, that's for sure. So link me some good stuff so I can see some prices guys! Also maybe some better places than Amazon to purchase stuff from? lol

That cold steel axe is pretty sweet by the way, I definitely know I don't want to purchase anything with a cheap plastic handle, that's for sure. So link me some good stuff so I can see some prices guys! Also maybe some better places than Amazon to purchase stuff from? lol

I think you will find that the Polypropylene handle on that cold steel axe is anything but cheap. Wood breaks and fiberglass can crack. That handle there would be tough to destroy (impact, heat, and chemical resistance being good on Polypropylene). Full tang tomahawks can be found, but are not as common. With the force that a 19" tomahawk can generate, holding on to a solid metal axe would likely be quite painful to the hand, even wrapped. That is why most axes and other striking tools like pickaxes and sledge hammers are made with non-metal handles.

Well I think if you put some black hockey tape on the handle to give it a little grip/cushion, that alone would also reduce the vibrations from hitting some solid I would think., it works for baseball bats! haha

You know of any good machete's like that too?

That knife you linked earlier looks pretty solid, might have to grab that and the cold steel axe. Looks like a good start to some survival weapons.

So Cav how are those bug out bags coming along?

I am looking to pick up a nice knife, and a machete, you got any recommendations? I'd probably go with stainless steel over carbon fiber, as it is more rust resistant, and it will probably sit around for long periods of time, haha.

I also want to pick up a bow, probably want to start off with a normal longbow type deal, and work up to a composite bow at some point once I'm better with it.

For a for-real knife I went with a Ka-bar tanto.  I carry a Kershaw Brawler and Gerber multitool as my every-day.

As for bows, just get a takedown Ruger 10/22.  Easily fits in a backpack when you break it in half, ammo is tiny and light so you can carry lots of it, and it'll just be way more useful in general.

But, yeah, the BOBs have been going well.  I've got one at home and one at work.  Still working on the GF's and now that I have a personal vehicle again I'd like to get one of those pouch deals that hangs on the back of the seat.

But first I need to get a decent roof rack, pioneer kit, and some jerry cans for the vehicle.  Argh, and now I'm going to need ANOTHER pistol to keep in the vehicle.  I need to get another FNX-9 and an FNX-45.

I have so much money I need to spend to complete projects right now.  And I just shelled out a shit load for that engagement ring...  I could have bought the entire lift (long arm upgrade kit), tires, wheels, coil springs, Bilstein shocks, spacers, KOR bushings, steering stabilizer, and whatever else I needed for less than that ring.

Stupid women making me spend all my damn monies on some rocks!

Agreed on the sharpener. That one works well and doesn't take up much room. As for the machete, not sure if I'd want one for a bug out back unless I lived in the Amazon. It takes up a lot of room and is heavy for a pack. As Cav asked, what use did you have planned for it?

Edit: If you are going to get a machete, at least represent the 47th and get the Gladius!   :lol:

Edit 2: If you are set on a full tang type tomahawk, I linked one here.

The machete is for slicing things, either zombies, or wild game.....gives a bit more range than a knife. It would be something I would wear on a belt, and not be in the backpack, plus for $26 that is fairly cheap for one. Can't hurt to have one around right? haha

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this