Sign in to follow this  
Cavadus

Bug Out Bags

79 posts in this topic

I don't know if it's from playing DayZ, watching survival shows, or the fact that it's like -20 F here but I've decided to put together three bug out bags.

Two at home for me and the GF and one at work.  I'm planning to make them all identical.

Here's what I've got so far (ignore the boots and drop-leg holster as they're not really a part of it).

What I'm not sure about is the HAM radio.  Do I need the two-ways if I have a HAM radio in each bag?  Do HAM radios double as two-ways?  I don't know about anything about HAM radios but every single video I've watched from Joe Teti from Dual Survival to James Yeager seem to have a HAM radio.

I feel like I've got the basics covered.  Each pack will have a camelbak bladder in it as well as a nalgene bottle.  Also, each pack will have a lot of ibuprofen, immodium AD, dramamine, and probably a flask of bleech and hydrogen peroxide each.  I should also stuff a toothbrush and toothpaste in there.

All packs will include a gerber multi-tool which I already have a half a dozen of (the Army was good for something!).  Each pack will get a 200-cartridge German surplus 7.62x51mm battlepack in a nice waterproof and vacuum sealed carrying bag as well as a TBD amount of .45 ACP or 9mm and a basic rifle cleaning kit.

Any other must-haves or suggestions?

Guest Roscoh

There's a lot of cool stuff in that list... what about food?  Maybe a flashlight (extra batteries)?    

I try to keep my bag stocked with dehydrated food and sealed water pouches.  I try to keep  a week's worth for myself and my wife, just in case.  I also know where there are caches within easy walking distance... as well as a few well stocked Mormons.  Seeing this thread reminded me it's been a while and I need to go through and check expiration dates...

I find that while reading survivalists guides are good, watching the videos are fun... keep in mind they are mostly for entertainment.  I tend to stick to backpacking supplies:  a lot more people with experience sticking to the essentials backpack every day then go through a situation in which they get to test their "bug out bags".

Also, I would recommend The Zombie Squad.  They've been around for years and their primary mission is to educate on disaster preparedness and they use the zombie apocalypse as a vehicle to promote it.  Something the 47th might be interested in joining as a group in real life.

Yeah, I was looking around at flashlights and noticed that even the cheapo surefires are still about seventy bucks.  Forget that.  Just haven't decided on one yet.

As far as food goes, I was just gonna grab a case of MREs and breakdown three of them in each bag.  If I have room maybe I'll stuff a box of Clif bars in each one.

When it comes to bugging out, keep in mind where you are bugging out too, and how long you are bugging out for.   In most situations, "bugging-in" will be the best option.  You can prepare your home, and store more gear, consumables, and weapons, than you could ever carry.  Having "bug-out" bags at home are good preparation if leaving is required, but you probably only need a "bug-home" bag at work.  Something that can insure that you can get home, assess the situation and determine your plan of action.

If buggin-out, insure that you have a destination, and the navigation tools required to reach it.  It may also be a good idea to have a few rally points, and communicate some drop-dead times in case of separation.  Also remember to keep your loads manageable.  While you might be able to carry a 60 lb pack, others in your group might not.  

As to flashlights; remember batteries.  Surefire flashlights are awesome, but they require those expensive, and sometimes hard to find 3v lithium batteries.  If you're just providing light, a AA flashlight will suffice.  If you are using it for defense or a weapon, I can recommend the larger LED Maglights.  They provide some good distracting light, and are a good striking weapon.

I can go on and on on this topic, but will try to refrain from rambling...

This is awesome! You guys are making my day! The Mormon reference was great.

Bugging in; bugging out .......  what are the scenarios that you envision require this kind of response?

Natural disaster wouldn't be one unless it was the eruption of Yellowstone I think. 

Global cooling in the Day After Tomorrow theme?

2012 world flooding with the Governments of the world having prepared for it for years and keeping it a secret?

Invasion from Earth forces isn't going to happen, so are you thinking alien invasion a la War of the Worlds?

For us non savvy military people, can you expand on the abbreviations if you use them  such as MRE .... what is that? Meal Replacement something?

And have you any links for where you get a camelbak bladder case? And any other specific items you guys talk about.

Are the surplus gerber multi-tools going to be door prizes at the Minn-St.Paul great and meet?

When you say "have a destination" what are the criteria for choosing a destination and is there a list of top 10 needs and top 10 places or sites to avoid?

This is the kind of discussion we can link into Striker's MMORPG thread as material to set up what his survivors need and would have to go through when they spawn into the game or if they are trying to prepare for "the end".

What I'm not sure about is the HAM radio.  Do I need the two-ways if I have a HAM radio in each bag?  Do HAM radios double as two-ways?  I don't know about anything about HAM radios but every single video I've watched from Joe Teti from Dual Survival to James Yeager seem to have a HAM radio.

HAM radios are two-way radios. What sets apart HAM radios is the frequency ranges they cover, and often the allowed output power. Having the other two-way radios would be pointless as the HAM radio covers those frequencies and more. The good thing about them is that not only will you have access to the ham bands, but the 462-467 frequency range, which is inside the 400-480 that that radio covers, also covers FRS and GMRS frequencies as well. If you don't know, those little handheld Motorola and Cobra radios you see at truck stops and Walmart are FRS/GMRS radios. You can also receive broadcast from many police, firefighter, and even air traffic control frequencies. There is however a learning curve to using the HAM bands and the radios themselves. It is not as simple as turning it on and selecting CH 9 and talking. On those, there are no channels, just frequencies. Many HAM bands are repeater based (on the frequencies that radio covers) and most HAM repeaters are set up to survive power grid failure for extended periods of time. Learning how to use the repeater frequency offsets will make the radio more valuable to you. I recommend that anyone that has a radio like this or plans to get one go ahead and get their HAM license (free other than the ~$14 test fee). That will give you the legal permission to transmit with them and get familiar with the equipment prior to having a need for it in an emergency. In the US, operating (transmitting) on the HAM bands without the license is illegal and carries a fine up to $10,000 (and the fine is usually pretty close to that) and possible jail time. Also, using a HAM radio on the FRS/GMRS frequencies outside of an emergency is also illegal. Something to keep in mind during the prep phase. Of course, if/when the SHTF, all such regulations fly out the window.

I have been a licensed HAM since 2008.

Side note: Check this site out for some cool stuff: http://countycomm.com/whatsnew.html

I like the Ka-Bar knife, good as a fighting knife if that is your intended use for it. If you were wanting something a little more utility, I would go with: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001IPILMA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2FE3BM5LMNJMX&coliid=I1RWKLOKN5XIP4

Guest Roscoh

This is awesome! You guys are making my day! The Mormon reference was great.

Bugging in; bugging out .......  what are the scenarios that you envision require this kind of response?

Natural disaster wouldn't be one unless it was the eruption of Yellowstone I think. 

Global cooling in the Day After Tomorrow theme?

2012 world flooding with the Governments of the world having prepared for it for years and keeping it a secret?

Invasion from Earth forces isn't going to happen, so are you thinking alien invasion a la War of the Worlds?

For us non savvy military people, can you expand on the abbreviations if you use them  such as MRE .... what is that? Meal Replacement something?

And have you any links for where you get a camelbak bladder case? And any other specific items you guys talk about.

Are the surplus gerber multi-tools going to be door prizes at the Minn-St.Paul great and meet?

When you say "have a destination" what are the criteria for choosing a destination and is there a list of top 10 needs and top 10 places or sites to avoid?

This is the kind of discussion we can link into Striker's MMORPG thread as material to set up what his survivors need and would have to go through when they spawn into the game or if they are trying to prepare for "the end".

MRE = Meals Ready to Eat.

Camelbaks can be bought just about anywhere that sells sporting goods, including Wal-Mart.  It's a brand name for a hydration system (a big water bag with an easy to use spout.)  I have a small pack that is just a hydration pack I use for day trips, I likes my water!

For me, bugging out isn't as much of a worry, the biggest disaster we face around here is the pending earthquake of doom everyone is anticipating.  So most likely it will be a few days without power, water, etc.  Again, I know where the Mormons are, and they've assured me I'm welcome to their stockpile!  Easy walking distance, less then a mile.  And if they have a change of heart, well... that's what my range time is all about.

Natural disasters are different in different regions.  East coast is experiencing blizzards at the moment, a lot of freezing, overloaded power grids, etc.  West coast faces tsunamis, earthquakes, etc.  Doesn't have to be a global wide emergency to require planning for.

Having a bug out bag is good as well as an emergency kit/bag. We (most here should) in the northern parts of the country should keep a survival kit/bag in the car. We get snow storms/ lake effect snow/ white outs and blizzards. If your car goes off the road and can't travel you can very well freeze to death. so it is highly recommended to keep a dry set of clothes (one set for each in your family id you have one), heavy wool (military style are good) blankets or low temp mummy bags, matches/lighters, high energy but small food (energy bars, jerky, stc), flash lights and batteries and flares. Sounds like a lot but not really and it should easily fit into the trunk of the car.  I'm told in the south and coasts they keep hurricane kits like these too.

As for a real bug out bag people may have other reasons to bug out besides disasters. In mine I prefer to keep a 12 gauge and and a hot point 9 mill with any bug out gear. Both have very common and easy to get ammo and are effect deterrents. At my work (An auto shop I own) I keep these as well and other mention items along with the long lasting and high energy foods and a pair of boots and sneakers.

At home I keep a 762x54 m1 grand rifle as well as several pump shot guns (deer hunting) and also another 9 mill hot point. I will defend my family at all costs if need be.  I have tons of canned and preserved foods if we need to wait out a long disaster. I also keep a generator to keep power. 

Alright, I'm switching my pack from the 3 Day Assault to the Medium Assault.  I've been watching some youtube videos and hit some reviews on the three levels of Condor's packs (3 Day, Medium, and Compact) and the 3 Day is ginormous.  Way too big.  At least for my GF, anywho.  Maybe I'll roll the 3-Day and get two smaller ones for the GF and work.   Hmmm...

My eventual bug-out location is my brother's house as he actually has an armory in his basement with around 20k rounds of various sizes and a few dozen military-style rifles and pistols.

It's roughly a half-hour jaunt from my house but I think if the SHTF the last place I wanna be is stuck across from the river from downtown Saint Paul.  The major problem with my retreat location is that it is across Saint Croix river in Wisconsin and bridges are so stupidly easy to control and damage.  I'd have to be very careful about crossing and that one obstacle alone is why I recently picked up a second FAL to keep at work.  That firepower would be essential.

For now I've got my GF carrying a 9mm and my Tavor.  I'll have dual FAL/FNX-45 setups at work and at home.  Someday I might break down and pick up an AR-15 just for the sake of having a rifle with which parts can be scavenged.

@ Payton:

There are a bunch of scenarios.  From completely vicious weather to some type of biological disaster to simply regrouping to repel government activity.  I can honestly say that even here in the Twin Cities, which has been a liberal fortress for fifty years, even these locals are starting to get wary of the federal government.  Things just feel different now than they did before all of Snowden's leaks and crazy-ass ammo purchases by wonk-ass federal agencies (why the fuck does the EPA have it's own armed police force???  And they need 357 magnum cartridges?  Wut?).  There was some Reason-Rupe poll a few weeks ago which of which over 70% of the respondents said they feared the federal government.

I think the biggest disaster we have looming is the fallout from an EMP from a coronal mass ejection.  Apparently we just missed a massive by about eleven hours last week.

@ Destroy:

Thanks for the quick HAM radio rundown!  Good to know that a few of those Baofengs will do the trick and I won't need the simpler two-ways.  I had one of those full-sized tanto kabars a few years ago though I lost it while on patrol.  I'm a big believer in the tanto blades after having switched to one.  The blades are significantly stronger and less prone to chipped tips.

What I have done in the past and it has really worked for me, was I threw everything I thought I needed into a waterproof bag, and took it out to the field. After a couple of days, if I didn't touch an item, I didn't feel I needed it and it was shitcanned. After that, I wrote down everything I DID use... and that's what I based my kit on. I bought a bag based on the kit I used, and that way, I had all the stuff I needed, and nothing I didn't. 

A few things I ALWAYS carry in a Bug Out/Get Home/OMGSHTFWTFBBQ bag are: 

• Paracord, 100 ft.These have a million and one uses, Literally saved my ass more times than I can count. This can be substituted to be carried elsewhere, preferably on-body/weapon if possible. 
  • 500mph Tape 1 roll, folded(If you can't fix it with this, you're really fucked.
  • Baby Wipes, 1 pk, large. Because sometimes you have to wipe your nuts
  • Socks, 6 pr I fully expect to be on foot using Mk 1 Leather Personnel Carriers, so I plan to change them often.
  • T-shirts/Underwear, 3 pr each. If I'm going to be out for 72 hours, I want to be able to change my under clothes. They can also be used for TQ/Pressure dressings. 
  • Feminine Pads, Extra Absorbent (My wife uses them, and they make great Pressure dressings in a pinch)
  • Wax-Dipped Nail Buffing pads. You can find these and tea candles at the dollar store for cheap. warm up the wax, and dip the buffing pads into them, setting them on a cooling rack to cool. Makes great fire starters and they're light enough to carry quite a few. 
  • Toilet paper, one roll.  Because sometimes you have to wipe your ass.
  • Ka-Bar Knife and Flintsteel. Because I came to kick ass and light shit on fire. 
  • Extra Ammo/Magazines. Just in case. Hopefully I don't need it. 
  • Metal Spork/P38 Can Opener. I think this is self explanatory. I actually carry a P38 can opener on my key chain, but they're cheap, and I figured the redundancy wouldn't hurt.
  • Canteen Cup
  • Jello Mix, Ramen Noodles, and Chicken/Tuna packs. (High in Calories, small packaging, and light) 
  • Water
  • Clear, plastic bags and twistie ties ( Mostly to procure water with)

Depending on the pack, I will have Tarps, extra clothes, maybe a spare weapon or two... depending on my daily routine. My car has a pack with two shelter halves and two tarps to protect from rain. I rather NOT pull that pack, as It's the WTFBBQ pack... I rather stay as light as possible. 

Wire cutters, twine and a heavy bladed machete. Can set snares for small game so you dont deplete your food stores too quickly. Plus i still use a slingshot, have been using them since i was a kid(44 now) and knocking a pigeon or dove off a power line or some other game bird can add longevity to carried food stores. Almost forgot, i also carry several extra bow strings when im hunting, there are several species of tree down here in Texas that make fairly decent bow staves. 

Awards

Plus i still use a slingshot, have been using them since i was a kid(44 now) and knocking a pigeon or dove off a power line or some other game bird can add longevity to carried food stores.

That is something I need to get back to using. My papaw (grandpa for you non-southern US region located people), taught me to make them when I was a kid out of Mesquite and shoe leather. That is something I need to practice making again...

well .. not sure what you guys are playing here, but .. @ Cav - speaking of DayZ and compass -  forget about compass and shitty radio, and get good GPS positioning radio ( one for you and one for your GF ) I know it's not cheap but capabilities are priceless ( complement it with set of 20 batteries of new energizer type ( 10 guaranteed years of charge hold .. replace in 5 years : ) )

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-trail/two-way-radios/rino-655t/prod82799.html

I have three suggestions for you Cav

First is a Multipurpose tool. These are shovel looking things... you have probably seen them in old WW2 movies and the like. These tools I feel are crucial as they serve many different purposes from being used as a shovel to a hammer to many others!

Second is MRE's. Yeah they aren't the best but they pack tons of calories and you can technically live off one MRE for a month if rationed appropriately. The things in MRE's can also be used for a lot of other things as well, as you probably know. (Heat source, fire starter, MRE bomb; just kiding, etc).

Third is a kinetic energy rechargeable battery pack. These cool devices allow you to recharge your batteries through the use of motion (Kinetic Energy). So when ever you are moving the batteries are also recharging. Very helpful thing to have!

@ KBob: Yeah, not spending six-hundo on a GPS.  In my job in the Army orienteering was one of our primary skills because we're taught to call for fire manually using gridzone coordinates.  My skills in orienteering put me well beyond a GPS being necessity.  Plus compasses don't need satellites or batteries.  Also, for six-hundred bucks I could buy another 1,000 rounds of 7.62x51mm :P

@ Jungels:
Yeah, I've got a standard issue GI e-tool and carrier in that Amazon wishlist. If worst comes to worst that's gonna be my melee weapon.  Fuck the kabar.  I have about half a dozen Gerber multi-tools I tactically acquired while active-duty.  I've also got a case or two of MREs laying around.  I plan to field strip three MREs per pack and supplement that with Clif bars.  All packs will have a 100oz camelbak bladder in them as well as a decent sized nalgene bottle.

To answer this question and from charts I've seen and know while in the military. If a nuclear reaction, IE doomsday event, takes place and nukes are flying about STAY AWAY FROM THE COASTS!!! Minnesota and much of the Midwest will because of the jet stream be blanketed in radioactive fallout. The rocky mountains near Denver and around that state I'd say would be the safest place to "travel." I say this because much of the fallout cannot pass the mountains. However venturing to south can spell disaster as well if you venture to far east. Many nukes will be going off in the south and south west and large amounts of fallout will be taking place there.

NOW... this is only in the case of a nuclear doomsday type event. Which will most likely not happen ever because no one wants to obliterate everyone except for North Korea...

MRE means Meal Ready to Eat

Most of our land based Nuke Silo's are in the mid-west as well as major railway/transportation hubs. Colorado is also a prime target due to the Air Force Academy and N.O.R.A.D. Im sure all major ports as well as dense population centers are on someone's target listings. If radiation is involved finding a well is paramount, even if its 30 meters down a cave system. There are only a few Global catastrophic events that would effect the ecosystems. Pandemic, Yellowstone eruption, Nuclear Strikes etc etc

Awards

@ KBob: Yeah, not spending six-hundo on a GPS.  In my job in the Army orienteering was one of our primary skills because we're taught to call for fire manually using gridzone coordinates.  My skills in orienteering put me well beyond a GPS being necessity.  Plus compasses don't need satellites or batteries.  Also, for six-hundred bucks I could buy another 1,000 rounds of 7.62x51mm :P

well .. I seriously doubt that YOUR ability to orienteer help you in identifying position of your GF (she could send it from her radio )  OR giving her your position (or any of your waypoints position ) and making sure she is able to come to it . .. getting weather radio information, getting maps of the surroundings ... marking spot of your camp and photos / coords of all places you want to come back later on etc. etc. etc.  ... as I said - capabilities are priceless :D

There's no condoms!  Or were you planning on using the pocket knife to give yourself an emergency vasectomy?

Also, shouldn't you have less blend in clothing and more stand out clothing?  Unless you're planning for a Red Dawn invasion, I feel like having too much camo would be detrimental to search parties finding you.

Guest Roscoh

There's no condoms!  Or were you planning on using the pocket knife to give yourself an emergency vasectomy?

He is planning on single-handedly starting the re-population of earth!  As if we don't have enough problems as it is...

And back to the topic of GPS... they're great, as long as you aren't in thick foliage, in a tunnel, have an endless supply of energy and the satellites are functioning properly.  If it's a volcanic eruption thas has clouded the skies to the point there is no LOS...  Too much that can go wrong to rely on most things electronic in an emergency.

Unless the "disaster" has shifted the magnetic poles, give me a compass and a map.  Orienteering is not overly complicated and can be taught.

I'm thinking gps & compass. If the gps works great if not the compass is still in the bag. 

ok ok ok :) .. it's logical to take compass .. why not :) ... the overall question though is the main purpose of the bug .. if it's "the whole hell broke loose" .. than the content has to be quite different ( I don't see any antibiotics , any chemical water purifiers , no pistol with silencer for small problems etc. ) .. if we talk about  some 3-5-10 days trouble between disaster and evacuation camp -   rhino is a must  (you could find early versions for ~ 100 a piece ) 

Rhino revolver? Looks to be a good choice. Having a small caliber pistol with a silencer would be a very good idea too. At the very least take a shot gun. 

revolver ? nah .. I'm peaceful Canadian .. I talk about GPS / weather Radio / tracker / photo sharing device / ... :D   .. I don't see a reason for big revolvers in general .. you either don't need a stopping power (and than anything with silencer and half decent aim at 5-10 meters is good enough ) ... or you do need a stopping power , and in this case you'd better with at least FAL or something similar