Sign in to follow this  
Cavadus

Gunz Discussion

127 posts in this topic

Here she is, the Official 47th Legion Firearms Thread (O47LFT).

Let's talk about shit!

I own:

I want:

All builds and mods done by me.

• Hand Built AR-15 (5.56mm) 16" HBAR with 6-pos Telescoping Stock, Magpul BAD lever, and Magpul Handstop kit. 
  • Glock 19 9mm with Lone Wolf Ghost 3lb Trigger Connector and 6 lb spring, Extended slide release.
  • Mossberg 590 w/18.5" barrel 5+1 capacity. (Currently on house duty/project gun)
  • CZ 82 9mm Makarov

Currently on my wish list:

1. 13" VTAC Alpha Rail for my AR
  2. Aimpoint T1 Micro
  3. A Custom 1911 in some Flavor

i have a whole collection of fire arms back in australia my dad looks after them now, i presume it is going to be extremely difficult if not impossible to bring them to canada so i guess it is good by to my guns lol

who those who are interested i have

a sea service pattern brown bess

a 1863 sprinfield smoothbore

SMLE mk 1 and mk2

a Mauser Infanteriegewehr M.98

a Lee Enfield Rifle No 5 Mk I

a Mk3 Bren lmg

a Parker-Hale Model 82

a L1a1 SLR

a Luger P08

a Colt Model 1911A1

a Webley Mk VI Revolver

a Remington Model 31 pump action shotgun

most of these collected by my grandfather during WW2

Guest Roscoh

i have a whole collection of fire arms back in australia my dad looks after them now, i presume it is going to be extremely difficult if not impossible to bring them to canada so i guess it is good by to my guns lol

who those who are interested i have

a sea service pattern brown bess

a 1863 sprinfield smoothbore

SMLE mk 1 and mk2

a Mauser Infanteriegewehr M.98

a Lee Enfield Rifle No 5 Mk I

a Mk3 Bren lmg

a Parker-Hale Model 82

a L1a1 SLR

a Luger P08

a Colt Model 1911A1

a Webley Mk VI Revolver

a Remington Model 31 pump action shotgun

most of these collected by my grandfather during WW2

Wow!  I'm jealous...

@Maximus -

Just get a Canadian Firearms Certificate  (FAC) to start with.

Then go to your local police detachment and give them a list so they can tell you if any are prohibited in Canada and which may be restricted. You can get a permit for the restricted ones.

Then you need to make sure you have proper trigger locks and a locked place to store the ammunition separate from the weapons.

Anything that is automatic you will likely be better off leaving behind. Anything semi-automatic or capable of being modified as such will likely be sensitve and part of the restricted list. If you want I can find out all this for you. Just PM a specific list with as much detail about each as you can including magazine sizes. That is also a factor in their classification.

Anyone know of any good 3-4x combat scopes that don't cost over a thousand bucks?  I have an EOTech reflex on my FAL right now and my Tavor came with a kickass Mepro-21 reflex but I want something ACOGish for my FAL since I just switched out the 16" barrel with an 18" one.

Everything seems to cost over a thousand dollars though :(

EDIT: Anyone have any experience with the little 3x attachment for EOTech reflexes?  I'm talking about this thingy here.

Guest Roscoh

My M4 will be finished out at tax time! I am SO EXCITE.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I had a great time just building mine!  Enjoy!

Guest Roscoh

At least tell me you two went piston, right?

Also, y'all go aluminium or poly for the lower?  My brother has a plum crazy lower that's all poly and it wigs me out.

I need to take some pics of my shit.

Uh... no, direct gas.

My lower is aluminum.  I made a build sheet, I'll get it attached if I can find it.  Nothing spectacular, just something to knock off my bucket list.  Always wanted to build my own gun and this seemed a fairly straight forward way to do that. :)

AR-15 Build Sheet

You should really switch to a piston first chance you get.  Dump a thousand rounds through it after you do and then come back here to thank me.  Cleaning it is just running some boiling water through the gas tube, drying it out, and adding a drop or two of CLP.  You'll never clean the bolt or bolt carrier again.

Adams Arms probably makes the best piston conversion kit.  I think you can pick'em up at Fleet Farm even.

Alternatively, you could always just grab one of the Huldra Arms piston uppers from Fleet Farm.

If I absolutely had to roll an AR-15 it would definitely be a piston chambered for 5.45.  That cartridge is so insanely better than 5.56.

If you ever get play with an AR-15 in that configuration you'll never look back.  Plus 5.45 is the cheapest ammo out there.  1k rounds for less than three hundo?  Fuckin' sweet.

I pay around 75 cents per round for .308 :(

Nope. DI here, too.

I have a few thousand rounds through mine and I haven't cleaned the gas tube, and I have not noticed a drop in performance or cyclic rate.

Pistons have their place... But for the AR in my neck of the woods, DI does just fine.

Guest Roscoh

Nope. DI here, too.

I have a few thousand rounds through mine and I haven't cleaned the gas tube, and I have not noticed a drop in performance or cyclic rate.

Pistons have their place... But for the AR in my neck of the woods, DI does just fine.

I haven't counted, but if I had to guess I'd say I have around a thousand through mine.  The only hiccup has been feeding, but a little oil... well a lot of oil... cleared that right up.

Pistons are infinitely more reliable and you'll no longer have to clean the bolt with anything but compressed air.  There's absolutely no reason to use DI when you have the option for piston.  Piston is superior in every way.

@ Roscoh: mag springs cause the bad feeds?  I know a lot of dudes loves their fancy magpul and matco stuff but standard GI mags are the way to go IMO.

Guest Roscoh

@ Roscoh: mag springs cause the bad feeds?  I know a lot of dudes loves their fancy magpul and matco stuff but standard GI mags are the way to go IMO.

That's what I thought to, or something on the ramp.  But, I tried 4 different mags, two of the regular GI mags and two PMAGS.  I tried .223 and 5.56.  

Same all the way around.  I talked to a buddy of mine who was in the Marines at work, same guy that walked me through putting it together.  He said to soak that bitch in oil and try again.  Did and it has gone through every round since without issue.  So, I keep a bottle of Hoppes in my kit now.

And I have to say I like the PMAGS better for weight and feel, but for performance I can't tell a difference between them.  And the weight difference is so minimal... meh.  They both cost @ the same price.

And since we're on the topic, I tried the MOE fore grip and the angled fore grip, hated both.  Next gun show I'm going to pick up the vertical grip with collapsible bi-pod I think just for shits and giggles.  I do however love the MOE on my Remington 870.

Other then the sights, I'm pretty happy with the AR.

Yeah, pick up the grip pod deal.  The angled forward grips are dumb since you need the forward grip to easily swivel inside of your hand which means it needs to be a vertical post for the best use.  This is what you're looking for but just get one cheap off ebay.  Make sure you get the one with the steel inserts in the legs that has GPS Grip Pod stamped on the side.  You don't want the ones with plastic legs; those are made for airsoft shit or marketed as "law enforcement" versions.  I've seen some good ones on Amazon for about $75, used ones on ebay can be picked for as little as $40.

Also, pmags are nice but the biggest consideration, at least for me, was that you need proprietary magpul magazine pouches because of all the silly ribbing to make them look cool.  I'd stick with standard GI shit as much as possible when it comes to mags because then you won't have any weird issues pop up with molle gear later on if you ever decide to put a full battle-rattle kit together (which is what I'm currently working on, need a helmet and plates and I'm good-to-go with a full ATACS uniform plus kit).

Guest Roscoh

Yeah, that's what I'm looking for.  You can usually find them at the local gun shows for less then $40.

So here are my AR and 870...

gallery_46864_99_1159396.jpg