Sign in to follow this  
Cavadus

[MMORPG] Earthrise

If any of you guys loved the open sandbox nature of preCU SWG, Anarchy Online, and even Ultima Online, but prefer the sci-fi environment I'd highly recommend you check out Earthrise (forums).

The jist is that the game is all about player freedom and making your own decisions. There are no classes, no levels, and it's open world PvP with "safe" regions and "lawless" regions. Everything in the game world is player crafted.

The combat system is action oriented though and will be similar to TR's so it's not the same boring RNG, stand in one place, queue up your actions stuff that most MMOs use.

I'm really, really looking forward to this game and if it turns out even half as good as advertised I'll be playing Earthrise for a very, very long time.

Guest Hook

Looks like they borrowed a lot of idea's from Eve Online, no level's, skill advancment while offline, lawless area's (Like Eve's 0.0 zone's). But with out the completely boring aspects of Eve (IE Asteroid mining). And hopefully without the substandial PvP risk that Eve imposes.

Looks really interesting.

Hook

Yeah, EVE had some pretty crazy death reprecussions even if you had your ship insured. Still, its about the most realistically scaled space game I have ever played, and I did really enjoy it. Seems like theres yet to be a game that has an extensive space and ground system... closest I can think of is SWG but space was pretty well neglected most the time. And sure, I hear EVE has a "ground" system now, but all it looks like is walking around on space stations. No boarding parties or planet stuff that I know of.

Guest Teki

WoW, this game looks like the exact game I am looking for. It's all TR until then. But when it comes out and it's as good as it looks, I am totally there.

Guest Hook
That's like, thirty years from now!

Aww...

I remember a time in my life when I thought that 2009 was like sci-fi times.

People would would have flying cars and we'd have a colony on Mars.....

Hook

Guest Cavadus

I'm still trying to figure out why I'm not on the moon sleeping with moon babes.

I remember a time in my life when I thought that 2009 was like sci-fi times.

People would would have flying cars and we'd have a colony on Mars.....

Hook

Space1999_Year1_Title.jpg

DUN DUN DUNNUNUNUNUNNUNUNUN

Guest Hook
Space1999_Year1_Title.jpg

DUN DUN DUNNUNUNUNUNNUNUNUN

I remember when that show was the best sci-fi show on TV.

Guest Cavadus

New Question of the Week up.

know, another lore question - but we couldn't resist because this one is so interesting. Let's dive right in!

What effect, if any will the "main storyline" have on player development within factions? In particular, will the Noir/Continoma storyline missions be different?

Once players enter the world of Earthrise and familiarize themselves with the factions that struggle for control over Enterra, they can take on storyline quest arcs that develop into an epic story taking place over majority of the expansive territory of the island. The story will be usually branched between Continoma and Noir, but many quests will have shared setups between the two factions. Still, their completion task will vary depending what faction the player is affiliated with. For example, some quests might involve either entering a territory and protecting a settlement from attacks of nearby enemies, or killing everyone in the said territory. Almost every quest is made with such duality in mind. Even when the completion task is clearly defined to the player, they will be free to complete quests in favor of the opposing force, sacrificing many of the rewards of a quest for reputation towards the opposing faction. As we have mentioned before, players will be able to shift from one faction to the other, but such betrayals will be difficult to pull off and it won't be possible to become a turncoat every single day. Even if players are capable of doing acts in favor of the opposing faction, that faction won't immediately greet them with open arms - they would still be viewed as enemies until certain requirements are met. Sacrificing quest rewards in favor of reputation towards the opposing side could speed up the process of warming up with the enemy; the downside is, many quests won't be repeatable so such acts of betrayal can be seen as a one-time speed-up that players would have to use sparingly, not to mention the material rewards they would be missing by doing so.

Eventually, it won't be possible to "screw up" the main storyline - despite a player's actions he would be able to reach the final chapter. We are still discussing many aspects of the storyline, so this is what we can reveal for now.

And that's all for now, but stay tuned for next week!

Original Link

More Questions of the Week

Guest Cavadus
In a continuation of our exclusive interview last month with the Art and Technology Directors of the up and coming Sci-Fi MMORPG Earthrise, we at Stratics Central next set our sights on two more movers and shakers at Masthead Studios for a look behind the scenes. Both Atanas Atanasov, CEO of the game's development company and Lead Game Designer for Earthrise, Apostol Aposolov, were kind enough to answer some tough questions about their post-apocalyptic project in development and the gaming industry in general from their studio in the Bulgarian capital city of Sofia.

To begin, we looked to CEO Atanas Atanasov for his views on the challenges the Earthrise team has encountered thus far, as well as those that still remain ahead.

Stratics Central: Independent game companies have become more and more popular in the MMO scene these past few years. Do you find you have a lot more freedom and focus in what you do than the "bigger" guys or has the relative obscurity required you to work harder to gain due respect?

Atanas Atanasov
: Being an independent company is giving us a lot of freedom and flexibility when designing
Earthrise
. The game design team doesn

Guest Cavadus

Today's House of Commons chat from Stratics. Good info IMO.

April 17, 2008

zigzag - Good evening and welcome to another great Stratics House of Commons chat! Tonight our guests are from Masthead Studios, developers of the upcoming title Earthrise. The topic is open, so any questions are welcome.

zigzag - Please send questions to me - to do so type /msg zigzag and type in the window that pops up. Questions sent to me or the developers will not make it into the lineup, so don't bother. Full logs of the chat will be up on http://www.stratics.com shortly after the chat.

zigzag - We'll start with a brief introduction from the developers, now would be a good time to send those questions.

[MS]Ostiak - Hi, everyone, my name is Atanas Atanasov, CEO of Masthead Studios

[MS]RaynerApe - My name's Apostol Apostolov, a.k.a. RaynerApe, and I am the Lead Game Designer of Earthrise. My job at Masthead is to design Earthrise so the game plays as good as it looks on your screens, and ensure you enjoy every single mechanics we put in.

Moll - <- Moll, community manager. Noisy one on the forums, mergin' your threads, encouraging your search buttons. :) Great to see you all!

zigzag - *MoothBG* Will it be possible members from Noir to be in Continoma's guild ?

[MS]Ostiak - Yes, it will be possible, guilds will not be restricted by character's belongning to Earthrise factions

zigzag - *DeiMoS* what the resources be -- metal , wood , smth :P and how will we collect them

[MS]RaynerApe - Raw materials will fall in two major groups - common and rare. Common material such as metal, etc. will not require harvesting. Instead players will buy them from a global market. Their prices however are linked to mine defence gameplay, where players have to ensure that mines across the island are not under siege of mutants and renegates that close transport lines to the major market.

zigzag - *Zuryn* sorry i lost connection my questions was how do u expect this game to fair against huge games liek world of warcraft

[MS]Ostiak - We think realistically and know that a new company developing an MMO cannot compete with a behemoth like WoW, what we will do however is to offer all people who like to PvP, who like sophisticated crafting and who want their actions to influence the gaming world the game that we are making. They will surely notice the difference from WoW and that is what we want to do, not another WoW cloning

[MS]Ostiak - but a game that has its own spirit

zigzag - *T-Man* Seeing how the game will be skill based insted of levels, how will we gain more "skill points" to add to our skills over time?

[MS]Ostiak - we are still considering that and testing several ways of skill gain. What we don't want to do is to copy another skill-based MMO

zigzag - *MoothBG* Will there be any other transport devices eept hovercrafts ?

[MS]RaynerApe - Other than hovercrafts that will provide land transportation at great speeds, players will be able to able to use island-wide teleportation network. One very costly transportation method will be using exoskeletons for long travel, though players will find traveling with them a safe alternative.

zigzag - *hannes* You have mentioned that camera modes will be a mix of Third Person Shooter and First Person Shooter. Will you be able to freely switch between these modes or will there be forced modes, such as only FPS while "looking through your scope" for better aim?

[MS]Ostiak - Player can freely choose the camera they like, no actions will force them to switch to a certain mode

zigzag - *T-Man* How will the offline career advancment work? Will we log off one night at "level 9" Holo Artist then log back on in the morning at "level 10", or something else?

[MS]RaynerApe - Offline career advancement will not advance you in ranks without player's decision to do so. Your character will earn job experience points that you can use to gain job achievements, favors or alternatively level up your career.

[MS]RaynerApe - This will allow for non-linear development of your offline profession - as a player you choose between climbing the career ladder or making the best of your current position.

zigzag - *Eonas* Will it be viable to create a full time trade-skill character, or are trade skills only supplemental to PvP/PvE careers?

[MS]Ostiak - The trade skills you mention are actually crafting skills and it will be absolutely possible for a player to make a career with them without engaging in PvE or PvP. Crafting skills are not supplemental.

zigzag - *Zarquon* How do you think the endgame of Earthrise will cater to hardcore gamers?

[MS]Ostiak - Hardcore gamers will find it very exciting to fight for world dominance. Their actions will have real influence on the gaming world - starting from territory conquest and control, going through influence on the supply of resources and changing the tides of the epic battles

zigzag - *Flagg* I'm an MMO player who hasn't heard of Earthrise yet. Can you give a short overview on the game settings and system?

Moll - Hey, glad you could join us Flagg. :)

[MS]RaynerApe - Earthrise is a futuristic, post-apocalyptic setting with unique take of humanity rebirth after a devastatic war that brought the end of the human civilizations. Those who survive start a new, utopia-gone-corrupt society on an pacific island populated by strange mutated fauna and rebellious groups called Noir.

[MS]RaynerApe - The game will feature non-linear PvE contents and PvP-centric gameplay, fully crafter-run economy, territories to conquer and a lot fun to be had.

Moll - I think the best overview is actually on the site itself - http://play-earthrise.com/index.php?action=showstatic&id=6 is the link :)

zigzag - *Eonas* Will there be PvP safe zones inside the city and conquerable objectives similar to Neocron city/wastelands?

[MS]Ostiak - Yes, there will be PvP safe zones, although a very small percantage on the map. I am not sure how the conquerable objectives in Neocron work, so if you can give an example I can give you a more precise answer

zigzag - *Vehementi* Can all items be insured so they aren't dropped on PvP death, or is there a limit? Or maybe some sort of exponential increase in insurance costs etc.

[MS]RaynerApe - Not all items can be insured everywhere. Both Continoma and Noir provide insurance services to their followers, but items that are built using restricted or forbidden technologies and designs from the opposing faction will not be accepted for insurance. Players will be forced to protect such property by other means.

[MS]RaynerApe - Also, certain very high-profile resources will not be ensurable and their transportation will raise some logictic challenges players must overcome.

zigzag - *Zarquon* What will the consequences of death be in pvp?

[MS]Ostiak - Players who die in PvP bear the risk of losing their non-insured items.

zigzag - *T-Man* In the FAQ it says "Players will have the opportunity to kill other players

Guest Cavadus

Basically the important stuff I got out of it was:

1. Common materials aren't actually collected by real players;

2. Insta-teleportation will be included for travel;

3. Multiple characters per server allowed; and

4. All combat will use a typical dice based system.

I like none of the above btw. I thought they trying to make a game that wasn't just "EVE on the ground." Guess I was wrong. All things I can technically live with considering the other available options on the market and I'll still play it but I guess I was hoping for a bit more.

Guest Cavadus
Exclusive: Interview with CEO of Masthead Studios: Earthrise

April 24th, 2008

Filed under: MMORPG News

earthrise.jpg ers.jpg

I recently had the chance to interview Atanas Atanasov, CEO of Masthead Studios, about the upcoming MMORPG Earthrise. We were also able to bribe Mr. Atanasov into providing us with a new exclusive screenshot of the Eastern Gardens in Earthrise. (right pic) Your son will be returned by midnight.

For those of you not familiar with the game, Earthrise is a sci-fi MMORPG that takes places after the Third World War where society has split into many factions, but the two major ones are Continoma and Noir. Earthrise is based completely off skills so there will be no leveling here. The combat system will use dynamic targeting much like any FPS, however this is not a MMOFPS as other skills will require players to use them as they would in any other MMORPG. Earthrise will also feature PvP and territorial control points where guilds will be able to battle over certain areas in the game to extract resources and impose there own power and rules in that region.

For more information on Earthrise, check out the site play-earthrise.com

Onto the interview:

1] In your FAQ you mention that skills are never permanently foreclosed, does this mean at any time in the game I can reallocate my skill points to change my characters skill set?

Players in Earthrise can learn all skills, but they cannot reallocate skill points. The skill usage will be limited by the equipment, which means that the player has to learn the skill first, and then equip the weapon, armor and other devices that go with the skill. All abilities and tactics, which are not supported by the equipped items will be grey (not usable].

2] Staying on topic, you mention that Earthrise is entirely skill based. Given that there are two factions, how many skills will be shared and how many will be unique?

There are two main factions in Earthrise

Guest K

the whole Players who kill you can take all your stuff thing sounds pretty shitty, it seems like the pvp system means if you just started playing all you can do is hide in a city and do nuthing to avoid the enevitable 500 jackoffs with nuthing better to do then harrass people waiting at the gates to gank you and take your shit.

Guest Washburne
3] I read that there will be full looting in Earthrise? How does the looting system work? In what scenario could someone loot all my equipment?

Fool looting in Earthrise will be possible, but for players who are careful or willing to spend money, it won

Guest Cavadus

I see what you're saying Wash but from my own experience the more prohibitively expensive you make PvP failure on players the less and less inclinded they will be to take any risks.

In a game built around territorial warfare extensively harsh death penalties will actually hamper PvP, not foster it. I think the system they have on the board is good. I also think you jumped gun on judging it because you don't know how much it will cost to get your items back in the window after your death and even if you did you have no idea how difficult it will be earn to that sum.

It could be astronomical for all we know. Or credits could be hard to come by. Or both. Also, they've stated previously that insurance terminals will belong to one of the two factions and based on that the insurance will be restricted on what items will and won't be covered. So what Noir insurance might replace Continoman won't and vice versa.

They've also stated that looting is open; meaning your allies can just as easily loot your corpse as an enemy.

Guest Washburne

Here is my system for items, crafting, and pvp if I was a dev...

Weapons and armor are very common and can be crafted or purchased. These are only base items.

Base items can then be modified and customized to whatever you want again by using crafting. Schematics for various weapons and armor can show up in the game however they want to add them in and some schematics can be harder to get or more rare than others.

The materials to make these mods should be disputed between the factions and will promote pvp.

When you insure your gear you insure it for the cost of the weapon or armor and modifications so when you die you dont lose something that is near impossible to replace just something that will take time and money to replace and as long as the mods are not super hard to craft (except maybe some rare mods), you really havent lost much. Your base items you could get back right away as they are easy to replace then its just a matter of getting new mods crafted or you could just buy an already modded item with your insurance money.

They could make some mods removable like a scope or laser sight so you can keep spares. Others have to be permanently crafted to the items. Removable mods can be taken off items and reused on other items. If you loot a player and get his item you can disassemble his items for materials to make your own mods. This could lead to newb camping but since my imaginary game is skill based and not level based there are no real newbs. New players should be able to compete with vets and it would never be a sure thing when fighting another player. The Vet would have the advantage of course.

Every item in the game would be crafted and the economy would be completely player based.

Thats my completely made up imaginary idea for a game that will not exist.

Wash