Sign in to follow this  
Cavadus

Whutchu Listenin' to, Willis?

449 posts in this topic

i bet you all feel old now don't you?

No, still twenty-three last time I checked...

Right now I'm cruisin' through Testament's new album. Doesn't hit shelves until the 29th but you can download it already. It's pretty good. Not quite thrash metal like I was expecting and somehow there are very few good riffs but it's still good on the whole. Skolnick is amazing. Great solos.

check this out, if for no other reason then to hear the opening verse

"Insurrection ooo

No protection ooo

I try to hide my erection and said

1, 2, I know kung fu"

myspace.com/shitdisco

"i know kung fu"

Steve Winwood's "While You See a Chance"

[YT]XS513FRfbwE[/YT]

I love the lyrics to this song:cool: And that synth! They need to create KEY-TAR HERO!

doing_it_wrong_keytar.jpg

Edit: Oh, song fact about "While You See a Chance." Know that really iconic synth intro? Yeah, the song originally had a drum solo for an intro but Winwood accidentally deleted that portion of the recording during the final edit. He only had like that afternoon to work in a new intro and bam, that's the origin of that wicked synth intro.

I forgot the forums erased my identity and destroyed my fragile ego. I'll repost my listenings.

Eilen Jewell

[yt]N5v7L-C7a6w[/yt]

Eli Paperboy Reed and the True Loves

[yt]YasAw3CJ9GE[/yt]

Rilo Kiley - Chick rock! Meedly-meedly-meedly-meedly!

[yt]6uyToObz3r0[/yt]

Yes, she does look like that in person.

Guest Washburne

That song is awesome. I guess I have to buy the damn album now to see what the rest of it is like.

[JUSTIFY]

That song is awesome. I guess I have to buy the damn album now to see what the rest of it is like.

I love the triplets at the front of the solo.

Or you could just download this zip file which has the entire album in 320 kbps mp3 format. If you're really an audiophile I've recently acquired the Guitar Hero III cuts of the album tracks in flac format which are really nice. The album was mastered to sound like a brick wall (i.e. loud as fuck) so the fidelity of the master is actually pretty bad. There's a lot of clipping and that's actually the final album mix which is... disappointing to say the least.

That being said, Death Magnetic is easily their best album since Justice and I'd rank it as their third best album overall in my Metallica power rankings (which are as follows, greatest to worst: Justice, MoP, Death, Lightning, Kill'em, Load, ReLoad, St. Anger, Black).

My favorite tracks off Death Magnetic are "That Was Just Your Life," "The End of the Line," "Suicide & Redemption (Instrumental)," and my personal favorite "All Nightmare Long" which has a brutally heavy and fast sequence before the coda.

Really though, the entire album is solid. I wouldn't say any song is bad though the single they led the album with, "The Day That Never Comes," is probably the weakest track on the whole album. This is the album that should have been made after Justice.

@ Cooke:

OMG, that Rilo Kiley is the bitch who completely ripped off George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord!!!" Ugh, I heard that song at the Mall of America and vowed that if I ever ran into that artist in person I'd punch her right in the tit for stealing such an iconic riff and making a horrible song out of it!

I'd do her first though...

Anyways, here's the song for comparison. The ripoff is so fucking blatant.

George Harrison - My Sweet Lord

[YT]fQkylt8PX5g[/YT]

[/JUSTIFY]

Here's a George Harrison tribute, hopefully it wont cause any tit punching...

[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9mEKMz2Pvo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9mEKMz2Pvo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]

She does give him credit for using the song if I remember correctly. So she ripped it off, but at least she didn't pull a Vanilla Ice and do a "Ours is dun dun dun dun duh duh DUN duh, his is dun dun dun dun DUH duh dun duh."

[JUSTIFY]So oh my god, G'N'R finally dropped Chinese Democracy. Or it's about to, anyways (in like three hours).

You can listen to the entire album on their MySpace page. I just started. Opinions later.[/JUSTIFY]

Update: Wow, I'm just three songs in and pretty blown away. It's like... really, really good. Major props to BucketHead for his shreddin'. My favorite so far is definitely "Better."

Update x2: Finished the album and gave it a little time to digest. It's good. I definitely liked the first half more than the second but my favorite song might be "Riad N'The Bedouins." Overall I'd say it's way better than I had expected and Axl's voice is surprisingly awesome throughout.