Sign in to follow this  
Cavadus

Gotta Rename This Board

I try to rename parts of the site to match the lore of the game(s) we play. I was hoping that after this beta weekend some of you might have some good ideas about what we could name this place.

Heck, even a cool bar name from a RL bar in Frisco would work. Sadly, it's been like... fifteen years since I've been there and I had a good many years to go before I could get slosh so I don't have much personal experience to reference here.

And queue all of the pun-tastic gay bar names :D

I think so. Check it:

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&safe=off&q=sausalito&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x8085845331c92675:0xb903aa6d828f51ee,Sausalito,+CA&gl=us&ei=LJ35UMSIAezE2QXWvoGYAg&ved=0CLEBELYD

Zoom out a bit. The in-game map does seem to roughly match up RL though it looks like it was scaled down about 1000% or so.

Incoming puns and bad ideas:

"The Mine Shaft"

"Diamond Drillbits Bar & Grill"

"Quadblasters"

"Double-down Dixie Pistols"

"The Loading Zone"

"Noah's Ark"

"The Enebriated Ark"

"Hole in the Ground"

"Monty's"

I like puns. In RL the greatest bar name I've ever seen was "21st Amendment."

I wasn't able to properly link flickr album (something didn't work). The link is

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wallacechane/3922534880/"

So I linked couple of pictures directly (note - they are not mine!)

Here is a pic of abandoned bar in Alviso

3922534880_def235e527_z.jpg

3922536038_7e4d26fb4a_b.jpg

based on the second picture the name is "Skin Deep".

I like it :)

Guest McGinnis

I was a bartender for quite a few years and I've heard of a ton of great bar names. I always joked that if I ever owned my own, it would be called "Just One More" because I've heard those three words more than any other when I was behind the bar.

I think, if you're looking for a recognizable name for a pub, though, you might want to go down the traditional route with some Defiance sprinkled in - like the names Cooke mentioned.

Guest Tuffluck

Between the founding of Rome in 753 B.C. until the third century B.C., there is consensus among historians that the Romans practiced great moderation in drinking (Austin, 1985, p. 17). After the Roman conquest of the Italian peninsula and the rest of the Mediterranean basin (509 to 133 B.C.), the traditional Roman values of temperance, frugality and simplicity were gradually replaced by heavy drinking, ambition, degeneracy and corruption (Babor, 1986, p. 7; Wallbank & Taylor, 1954, p. 163). The Dionysian rites (Bacchanalia, in Latin) spread to Italy during this period and were subsequently outlawed by the Senate (Lausanne, 1969, p. 4; Cherrington, 1925, v. 1, pp. 251-252).

Practices that encouraged excessive drinking included drinking before meals on an empty stomach, inducing vomiting to permit the consumption of more food and wine, and drinking games. The latter included, for example, rapidly consuming as many cups as indicated by a throw of the dice (Babor, 1986, p. 10).

By the second and first centuries B.C., intoxication was no longer a rarity, and most prominent men of affairs (for example, Cato the Elder and Julius Caesar) were praised for their moderation in drinking. This would appear to be in response to growing misuse of alcohol in society, because before that time temperance was not singled out for praise as exemplary behavior. As the republic continued to decay, excessive drinking spread and some, such as Marc Antony (d. 30 B.C.), even took pride in their destructive drinking behavior (Austin, 1985, pp. 28 and 32-33).......

Roman abuse of alcohol appears to have peaked around mid-first century (Jellinek, 1976, pp. 1,736-1,739). Wine had become the most popular beverage, and as Rome attracted a large influx of displaced persons, it was distributed free or at cost (Babor, 1986, pp. 7-8). This led to occasional excesses at festivals, victory triumphs and other celebrations, as described by contemporaries. The four emperors who ruled from A.D. 37 to A.D. 69 were all known for their abusive drinking. However, the emperors who followed were known for their temperance, and literary sources suggest that problem drinking decreased substantially in the Empire. Although there continued to be some criticisms of abusive drinking over the next several hundred years, most evidence indicates a decline of such behavior (Austin, 1985 pp. 37-44, p. 46, pp. 48-50). The fall of Rome and the Western Roman Empire occurred in 476 (Wallbank & Taylor, 1954, pp. 220-221).

Tl;dr: Rename to Imperium Claustrum

Guest Jhonen

Shit if you want a real San Francisco Bar with a good name, a lot of fights, and ton of crazy Irish straight off the Boat you gotta use "The Dogs Bollix". The best part is the tag line on the employee's shirts, "Pure Shite". Was always a good time when I lived there. Irish girls are fun. Heard it may have shut down though. It's a sad day if that's true.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this