• Announcement

Put here any message that can be a great announcement.

Defiance: 47th's RP Angle

Cavadus

Hey, it's the least used board in the forum.

So, seeing as how Defiance is just so damn much like Tabula Rasa I was thinkin' we could go back to being some real mean alien-hatin' sons of bitches hell bent on taking back San Francisco from them there out-of-towners.

Seriously though, a Terran Empire that puts humanity first in the way that Romans put Romans first so it doesn't all have to be bad or evil.

Our Legate is of course Maximillian "Big Lips" Labienus. There's a senate thingy but an emperor...? Maybe.

I'm just spit-ballin' here. Any other ideas or thoughts on the above would be much appreciated.

Edited by Cavadus

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Blackfish

At one point I had a degree in History. Well, I guess I still have it, but I just don't use it at all.

Anyway, I'm not to familiar with the lore of Defiance yet. I'll get into that soon though to assist with immersion in the game.

The idea sounds good though. A long while ago, FASA made a game universe, Renegade Legion, that was essentially an alien-hating human-centric group called the Terran Overload Government (TOG for short) fighting against the more inclusive, egalitarian Commonwealth.

The TOG was definitley the bad guy in the fiction, but not overtly evil. The wiki is here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renegade_Legion

So continuing your idea Cav...the 47th in game are elements of the 47th Legion of said new government, alien-hating, dedicated to retaking the Bay from the invaders. I don't think that means we all have to be humans though; instead non-humans have a place, but are looked down on and can only rise so far in society.

Edited by Blackfish

At one point I had a degree in History. Well, I guess I still have it, but I just don't use it at all.

Anyway, I'm not to familiar with the lore of Defiance yet. I'll get into that soon though to assist with immersion in the game.

The idea sounds good though. A long while ago, FASA made a game universe, Renegade Legion, that was essentially an alien-hating human-centric group called the Terran Overload Government (TOG for short) fighting against the more inclusive, egalitarian Commonwealth.

The TOG was definitley the bad guy in the fiction, but not overtly evil. The wiki is here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renegade_Legion

So continuing your idea Cav...the 47th in game are elements of the 47th Legion of said new government, alien-hating, dedicated to retaking the Bay from the invaders. I don't think that means we all have to be humans though; instead non-humans have a place, but are looked down on and can only rise so far in society.

Cool, aside from re-imagining our TR schtick Buz had the idea that a more villainous approach would increase our odds of getting mentioned someday on the show. So I think the "pragmatic villain" approach is a good way to take.

Plus hey, it's always more fun to be the renegades and just do whatever the fuck ya want :)

I think a marriage between that Renegade Legion business and the global government from Starship Troopers might be a good approach (gotta serve to be a citizen and vote, et cetera).

So, under the command of the vaunted and generally scary Legate Maximillian Labienus I was thinking that the story of the 47th could go something like this (I think I'd like to up our RP ante a bit and add an RP background story to our "about" section):

Labienus is a career officer with the E-Rep armed forces but becomes disillusioned with the government and higher command when he hits a glass ceiling in terms of promotions. In the spirit of greater unity the alien races are given preferential status for promotions to foster better relationships and further integration.

Unfortunately, Labienus' feelings of discontentment eventually turns into a disdain of the allied alien species. This attitude creates a rift between him and his leadership and he's eventually marginalized and thrown off into a backwater assignment to rot.

I was thinking at this point he might commit some type of terroristic act against the E-Rep government. Maybe an assassination. His underlings are successful but a handful are caught and tried. Nothing ties Labienus to the acts directly and he escapes by the skin of his teeth from a military tribunal but he is stripped of his commission and dishonorably discharged.

If y'all are interested we could write ourselves into the story on a personal level at this point. Perhaps a few of us were co-conspirators and collaborators.

Or maybe the event here could be something that seemed really bad but was completely misconstrued and a particularly harsh, if not unwarranted, punishment was meted out.

I guess this "turning event" would be dictated by whether or not we want to be a total kick-your-door-in and knife-ya-in-ya-sleep type guys or something a little more misunderstood and grey.

Anyways during this time Labienus becomes a semi-public figure and foments the "Terran Movement" which is basically what we talked about above. Hyper nationalist with a humans-first mentality which aims to reconquer North America's western seaboard and expand from there. This movement is dubbed "Terra Prima" and gains some popular support.

At some point Labienus completely disappears from Antarctica without a trace.

There should be some time lapse here. Like two or three years or something. Then his re-emergence in San Francisco is synchronized to the show's premiere and us gunning down everything in sight.

In that time of obscurity he quietly called upon soldiers of his former commands and began to recruit the backbone of the 47th Legion. Liberated caches of Von Bach equipment led to installations of EGO units in each Legionary (so we don't have to be ark hunters).

From here on we pick up the humanity-first, conquer-the-fuck-outta-j00 attitude and roll.

Whadddya guys think?

Oh, and wanted to make the format of this lore's presentation a little more interesting. Any ideas?

The only two angles I could really think of was like a collection of E-Rep news articles or Labienus's own journal.

Or maybe combine both and have a little mini-story about some intrepid journalist trying to uncover the entire mess. Last one seems a little cliche though.

I think some Nationalist Propaganda is in order? Create a recruitment poster or propaganda poster and show it on some unsavory telephone pole (We'd obviously have to have a full-size poster then some postings of said poster around town). Follow the story of someone who is interested in recruitment and ends up attending a general interest meeting or meeting with faction recruiters.

• 3 weeks later...
Oh, and wanted to make the format of this lore's presentation a little more interesting. Any ideas?

The only two angles I could really think of was like a collection of E-Rep news articles or Labienus's own journal.

Or maybe combine both and have a little mini-story about some intrepid journalist trying to uncover the entire mess. Last one seems a little cliche though.

The journalistic approach I think would be a great idea! There will no doubt be a "news" entity once the show has its debut. Maybe the journalists could be trying to uncover the back story into what Labienus was doing for the past 2 - 3 years before he came to the bay area, and what his intentions are. For starters they would only mention him from time to time. As the story grew however they would be uncovering loads of information because of acts allegedly committed by the 47th legion. Of course nothing could be directly linked, because lets face it were bad asses! Another idea is that they could try to bring up his past and try to link him with the successful assassinations of E-Rep higher ups, and the disappearances of Von Bach technology.

On the note of the assassinations and Labienus's back story I think a alien should've been picked and promoted over Labienus "enter aliens name here". Furthermore these two never got a long and once the alien had the rank he pursued every possible avenue to get Labienus discharged. Once his discharge there has to be a period where he is quietly contemplating how to get back at this alien who took the spot which was rightfully his. This in turn could shed some light on to the Terra Prima movement and why the 47th legion isn't so alien friendly.

I'm trying to put together a timeline of the big Defiance events and Labienus' stuff combined but I have virtually no idea of any dates involving the Defiance universe.

I know it's not set that far ahead of now. Could've sworn I read somewhere that the battle of Defiance took place in 2030.

Anyone know any concrete dates on stuff?

Sadly the wiki timeline is the best so far (because it's only one that exists for now)

link: http://en.defiance-wiki.com/wiki/Timeline

Additionally I've some ideas about Maximillian Labienus, if you still working on his lore.

Yeah, absolutely. Share :)

So far I have a rough outline that approximately goes like this:

1. Labienus is a career officer in the EMC;
  2. During the Battle of Defiance he's somewhere around the rank of Lieutenant Colonel so he's a squadron commander;
  3. His squadron is the only element of the battle which did not lay down arms; his soldiers continued to prosecute the battle and made some impressive gains;
  4. After Defiance Labienus was initially lauded by his commanders and promoted to Colonel but after the full effects of Defiance were felt the top brass, now transitioning into the E-Rep, felt he was a relic and possibly an obstacle to the formation of the E-Rep;
  5. At some point Labienus is passed over for a general officer promotion in favor of a completely untested alien officer who was selected via something akin to affirmitive action;
  6. Labienus blows up on his superiors and the fallout completely stalls his career; he's shipped off to a backwater post in the Canadian desert;
  7. At this point Labienus, still believing the world could be salvaged, retires from the E-Rep military and starts the Terra Prima movement which proselytizes returning Earth to humanity and restoring human sovereignty over the planet.
  8. TP organizers and candidates hit the ground hard in an attempt to build grassroots support and promote the movement legally;
  9. TP gains some momentum and notoriety in the press though the party is largely dismissed as being comprised of members on the fringe and xenophobes;
  10. Due to consistently being misrepresented by the media the TP movement loses some steam and is lucky to even maintain one or two seats in the coalition government;
  11. With his political party as stalled as his military career was Labienus makes a huge decision. Whether the impetus is the whole of his situation or some other recent experience which expedites it Labienus completely retreats from public life for around six months;
  12. In this time he surrounds himself with veterans from 13th Cavalry Squadron and the 34th Mechanized Infantry Battalion (13+34=47). Initially planning a coup this was decided to be too complex and lacking in support. Instead they plan an assassination of an important alien politician. There is some really good info in a few of the data recorders in-game about this. I should try to dig those up because they deal with a shadowy group which assassinated a few poltiicians;
  13. The assassination is successfully carried out. Two of Labienus's men are captured. One commits suicide, the other spills the beans;
  14. The TP party is completely dismantled and outlawed in the most fascist of tendencies. Though the public doesn't agree with what TP did many start to wonder about this new government;
  15. Labienus and his closest comrades completely disappear from the face of the earth;
  16. Over the next two or three years Labienus reaches out to veterans as soon as they ETS. Most are never heard from again;
  17. Over this time of construction and recruitment Labienus establishes a base of power in the SF Bay area. As personnel accumulate he officially forms his model combat unit; the 47th Legion which is staffed by veterans of the 13th and 34th. So as to completely separate the 47th from any E-Rep or allied militaries original Roman units of organization and rank structure are (re)introduced;
  18. Labienus and the 47th recover a huge cache of EGO implants from the crash site of a recently downed stratocarrier... down by whom, though;
  19. Game launch.

Edited by Cavadus

Love it, but I would add in a bit more to the trigger than personal greed and what can be viewed as xenophobia.

After the military discharge, which I would base on the same premises that are established (affirmative action over qualification) during the grassroots uprising or even during the accepted into government phase, a powerful alien within the political realm attempts the assassination of Labienus. This way our anti-hero was pushed towards fighting over politics rather than giving up on 'lawful' means without a true push.

Another addition might be an outside, and unknown, benefactor that is supporting Labienus and the 47th which is where the initial EGOs came from. This allows the story of the 47th to have many spinoffs and could even lead to the eventual disclosure that Von Bach himself is the benefactor or something along those lines. (That might be implied by the downed statocarrier already listed at #18)

I have only had a couple days to look into Defiance as a whole, so I don't know if that works with the actual storyline of Defiance in general.

Striker

Awards

I think an attempted assassination might be a bit much and from the experience I've had with Von Bach during alpha, which is fairly extensive because you spend a lot of time working with him, it seems unlikely he'd betray the E-Rep though I will admit that I have not progressed past the Golden Gate bridge so maybe he does betray the E-Rep eventually. I don't really get that vibe though.

Maybe the assassination could be more of a character assassination in that Labienus gets blamed for something that really wasn't in his control.

Perhaps after Defiance some atrocity committed during the battle is uncovered and Labienus gets automatically blamed because he was too hardline to lay down arms like everyone else. Whether he did or didn't commit the atrocity could stay nebulous.

You've definitely caught on to the fact that he's a ruthless anti-hero so I don't think it's unreasonable for him to have done some nasty-but-technically-necessary-shit here and there.

The main thing I'd like to avoid with Labienus is him becoming villainous by misunderstanding. I think he should be easily understood and that should make him divisive.

2030 January: The Arks mysteriously explode in orbit, some raining down on the planet and others forming the Arkbelt.

This could also be an important date and event for our RP angle. Our man could have possibly had a hand in this... being it is a mystery. Just a suggestion.

I think to be interesting to include the events (the former global Defense force) into lore 47 legions . Labienus could've attempted use them in a proxy war against. My experience with the means in the alpha/beta tests, made me question how dumb they actually are. There's a small chance a communication station could have survived the pale war and the last 26 years and remain on and functioning in a global defense force base. If so Labienus could've actually him across the. Most likely Labienus would be using the old global defense force gear and there old secure channels. I could see mutants freaking out as, com terminal crackles to life and Labienus appears and one of his comrades on another dust laden screen.

I don't think we should be taken responsibility for any major events that occur this story arc most likely they have this planned out meticulously for the TV show and game.

I don't think we should be taken responsibility for any major events that occur this story arc most likely they have this planned out meticulously for the TV show and game.

Yeah, we should try and stay away anything like that. On the other hand, I'm not at all against integrating us in the way that two main characters of HBO's Rome series were into history.

It was very clever :)

Guest Tuffluck

If we are going to be a hardcore/ foreboding RP clan, I hope we are REAAAAALY good in pvp. An example comes to mind is the killer in the mask in the movies SCREAM. He would always trip or fall over furniture as he tried to knife someone. He still killed em, but it was comical. Not saying we suck... Just saying lol.

As for secret benefactor, how about Jeb Bush's son, George Prescott Bush, after the loses the election for the fourth elected Bush President to an alien. Shit changed in the future so non US born people and aliens can run for president lol. Politics..... Most likely the presidential seat would have to be for the underground human movement and not the official US pres., cuz I'm guessing there will be a Pres in the actual show?? Of course, this is assuming Jeb wins president in 2016 and he has a son? Bushs like weapons and warmongering IMO. Don't hate, I've always voted for Bush's lol.

Just some ideas.

From my understanding of the story defiance. The former Earth governments and Votans formed the E-Rep replacing all the old government.

I have an idea for the long-term goals for the 47 Legion. I think it makes sense for us to try to capture a Terra-spire to undo the terraforming done by the Votans. Additionally these goals would coincide with Karl Von Bach. With the Terra-spire we could use Terraspheres (if there are any left) to launch a biological agent targeting the Votans genetic makeup. I don't know how you feel about biological warfare, but in this case it seems like the most logical response, this would reduce human casualties greatly and may prevent a full out war and does not require a large army.

I would love to hear you guys opinion.

If we are going to be a hardcore/ foreboding RP clan, I hope we are REAAAAALY good in pvp. An example comes to mind is the killer in the mask in the movies SCREAM. He would always trip or fall over furniture as he tried to knife someone. He still killed em, but it was comical. Not saying we suck... Just saying lol.

If we want to be really good at pvp we will have to work on our group tactics and functioning as a unit while in the combat setting... This means in a combat setting we all do our part in order to successfully complete the mission. In other words win the pvp match and blow away the enemy! :D We will have to work on engaging as a unit, securing objectives as a unit, and moving as a unit. Now training is inevitable to see where we all stand with unit tactics, but first and foremost I believe unit cohesion should be achieved! In all my years in the military I have learned no unit can function efficiently or effectively if there is no unit cohesion! Do you agree with me on this Cavadus? In my opinion we should be training our PVP style with actual military tactics. But first and foremost we must accomplish unit cohesion before we jump into the PVP setting. I think this would do us a great amount of good in securing our RP background as well. I mean we are the soldiers under Labienus's command given our RP angle. Saying that, in my opinion we should be using military tactics. Yes?