Sign in to follow this  
Cavadus

The Old Republic - New Trailer: Fate of the Galaxy & Trooper Info

13 posts in this topic

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXRtedHn4mk]YouTube - Star Wars the Old Republic - The Fate of Galaxy - PAX East Trailer =HD=[/ame]

Also, it's been confirmed that Troopers will have a healing tree so they can go primary healing if they want.

Which means the two Advanced Classes shake out as such:

• Commando: DPS/Healing
  • Vanguard: DPS/Tank

So we can actually be completely self-sufficient as an exclusively Trooper unit. Obviously people can still have their alts and whatnot.

But anyways, it's nice to see the mechanics bear out and justify our original unit intentions.

What's the point of even having classes then? I mean, honestly. If every class is going to be able to do everything, then the only separation between classes will be armor aesthetics and what type of weapon you're using.

No, please, hold my goddamn hand while I play my first MMO because I'm a fucking eight year old.

What's the point of even having classes then?

So that people can play whatever class they want in whatever role they want?

I see this as nothing but good. Imposing restricted trinity roles on classes is dumb anyways. Who cares if the healer is a Trooper or a Jedi? What matters is that you have a healer.

Sorry, man. Couldn't disagree with you anymore on arbitrary and arcane class restrictions. I hate shit like that.

Hate, hate, hate.

So that people can play whatever class they want in whatever role they want?

I see this as nothing but good. Imposing restricted trinity roles on classes is dumb anyways. Who cares if the healer is a Trooper or a Jedi? What matters is that you have a healer.

Sorry, man. Couldn't disagree with you anymore on arbitrary and arcane class restrictions. I hate shit like that.

Hate, hate, hate.

In a single player game, I would agree with you hands down. But this is an MMO, and there needs to be at least some measure of dependency on other players, otherwise it's nothing more than a glorified chat window. If your toon is capable of doing essentially every in-game content all on your own because each class can do everything, then this is literally nothing more than Kotor 3, and that's really disappointing.

If you've ever played WoW, you will know that even though a paladin can do DPS, Tank, or healing (not at the same time, they have to pick one), The DPS, the Tanking, and the Healing they can do all play Dramatically different from all other DPSers, Tankers and Healers. The same goes for Druids, except they are even more limited to a certain role at a time. It's generally more beneficial to have unique classes in a raid (10 man), rather than having 2 or 3 paladin's healing everyone, or having both the main and off-tank be warriors. Hell, with the different spec's that Wow has, it's more like each of the 10 classes have at least 2, maybe 3 different ways they can contribute to end of game dungeon play (And normally 2 ways they can contribute to end of game PvP play). So it's more like 20ish different "classes". Or at least 20 different play styles.

Just because you could switch your secondary class in Guild Wars didn't mean that everyone played the same class. Dervishes could be Tanks, DPS, or healers depending on skill and secondary classes. Does that mean you want to have everyone be a dervish probably not, unless you're like me and think Dervishes are awesome cool with the scythes.

There are other ways to differentiate classes and players rather than what (Broad) role they perform in a group. It's seen time and again as Game Design has grown from the strict class structure of the 70's, 80's and 90's, in both PnP RPG's, CRPG's and JRPG's, and other related genre's.

...there needs to be at least some measure of dependency on other players...

And there is, it's just that class doesn't factor into it. One person can't perform more than one role at one time so what you're saying simply isn't true.

You still need tanks, healers, and DPSers; and in the same quantities. Bioware has already said you can't change ACs so people are stuck with two of three trinity roles no matter what and it's not like they can simultaneously fulfill all the required roles anyways so I just don't understand why you're upset about it TBH.

And there is, it's just that class doesn't factor into it. One person can't perform more than one role at one time so what you're saying simply isn't true.

I was under the impression that the devs have stated TOR can essentially be soloed? I'm going to presume that means you can take your AI companions into and instance and finish it without too much trouble. I know a lot of people here play and love Guild Wars, but that kind of game design just doesn't fit right with me.

I don't think my problem with this is the class set up, I'm just starting to feel disenchanted by the fact that TOR's becoming more and more what I was afraid it would be: a glorified single player game with a chatbox and a friends' list.

BioWare has an amazing track record of releasing info on this game that makes me super-nerd bipolar.

The only thing that I'm worried about is that it's just going to be WoW with lightsabers.

Allowing some people to solo certain things is fine with me, since that means when I'm the only one on at 3 AM on a Sat night I can play the game just fine without having to PuG. But as long as the same (or a similar amount) of content can also be done in a group, perhaps for different rewards, achievements, whatever, I can play with you guys.

I don't think we have any cause to worry about how the game will play as we haven't really gotten a good indication of it. I think at the moment they are trying to appeal to a wide variety of players so they can get a good base going.

Just because something exists doesn't mean you have to do it.

*And while you CAN play guild wars by yourself, it's a LOT of micromanagement. Before the most recent patch 4 of your group of 8 had to be henchman which have subpar skills and can't really be micromanaged except telling them where to go. Now you can have a full party of heroes, which means that you have to collect the skills for 8 characters, set up the skill bars the way you want, and if you are fighting anything more difficult than the opening areas, probably tell a lot of your heroes where to move and when to use certain abilities (I always de-activate the rez abilities and certain long term cooldown abilities, so I use them manually).

Frankly, I get enjoyment out of playing the game solo because it's so challenging, not because it's a cakewalk.

The only thing that I'm worried about is that it's just going to be WoW with lightsabers.

I... can't say I wouldn't like that.

In a lot of cases, I think WoW is one of the better designed MMOs on the market today. It's got a lot of really great qualities that I think more games should have implemented.

I LOVED WoW. I think it is the epitome of what it is trying to be. But I don't want another WoW. I want something different. I'm bored of WoW, it's always the same thing. I'm paying monthly so I can see what new crazy story and artwork Blizzard came up with.

Sign in to follow this