Sign in to follow this  
Cavadus

GameSpot: Trooper Trailer

15 posts in this topic

Oh god, that was cool. I really hope there's a way to balance your skills and weapons so you can use rifles and grenades. I dunno how I feel about using heavy weapons.

Well, the talk around the TOR forums is that the big Trooper reveal will be tomorrow which will have all of the Advanced Classes info and stuff. Apparently Bioware always leads reveals with class videos like this.

What we know of the AC classes so far is that Commando is split between grenade launchers and heavy machine guns and Vanguard is about tanking and rifles. Hopefully grenades will be the shared skill pool between the two ACs.

Well, the talk around the TOR forums is that the big Trooper reveal will be tomorrow which will have all of the Advanced Classes info and stuff. Apparently Bioware always leads reveals with class videos like this.

What we know of the AC classes so far is that Commando is split between grenade launchers and heavy machine guns and Vanguard is about tanking and rifles. Hopefully grenades will be the shared skill pool between the two ACs.

I don't like that rifles are generalized for tanking. The specs should be set up in a way where it's tanking or dps, and it really doesn't make much of a difference which weapons you use. So tanks could utilize rifles or heavy weapons and dps could do the same without totally screwing yourself over.

I just looked up the Fan Friday which describes the Trooper's ACs. Here's what it says:

Trooper

-->Commando

• Heavy Blaster Cannon
  • Grenades
  • Ranged DPS

-->Vanguard

• Blaster Rifle
  • Energy Shields and Defense
  • Tank

Yeah, it's super fucking annoying that blaster rifles and grenades can't be combined....

I just looked up the Fan Friday which describes the Trooper's ACs. Here's what it says:

Trooper

-->Commando

• Heavy Blaster Cannon
  • Grenades
  • Ranged DPS

-->Vanguard

• Blaster Rifle
  • Energy Shields and Defense
  • Tank

Yeah, it's super fucking annoying that blaster rifles and grenades can't be combined....

Well, maybe they're going to allow for using blaster rifles as a commando, just with less efficiency. It would be pretty retarded to only allow one or the other.

Maybe a hybrid skill set up, which would be pretty WoW-like.

Holy moly.

As long as they allow us to switch skills easily I can't see this as too much of a problem. Tired of blasting with rifles? Load up grenades!

Y'know, I think if they ended up doing what WoW did with skill trees and give you the option to switch back and forth between two entirely different specs, it wouldn't be so bad.

Edited by Kolya

Ugh, I just re-watched the Hope cinematic; man, that's exactly how I want us to look in TOR.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fuls2eIwM4]YouTube - Star Wars - The Old Republic Cinematic Trailer[/ame]

Now for the hard hitting questions.

1. Why did those imbeciles give up their vantage point when they had that Imperial column in a perfect kill zone; and

2. Why is that one dude not wearing a helmet? Troopers wear helmets. Anyone who doesn't wear their helmet in the field owes me a 2,000 word essay on battlefield safety.

I really want to like TOR. I mean it looks cool, I liked the KotOR games, and all that jazz (The rules were based on the Star Wars RPG by Wizards of the Coast, so I it was fun looking up how they were different/same). I just don't know how I feel about paying monthly for a game, again.

Only time will tell. If it looks anywhere near good (which it is) I'll probably pick it up and play it for at least the 1 month free period. And hope that if I want to keep playing it, Bioware has the smarts to make the endgame fun. Or at least make the middle fun enough to have me want to level some alts.

I'm currently very stoked for Guild Wars 2 because of the gameplay, and the setting, for being fantasy, has become less and less generic as times gone by. Plus I can have a Nord(who can turn into bears) Ranger (who can use guns). Bears with guns.

Now if they would just release the damn game already. They've been working on it for 3 years (or more) now, and I don't see an end in sight soon.

Guest Polmeni

Pymamin,

I'm looking forward to GW2 as well. GW was/is the only MMORPG I've every actually played and I really enjoyed it in all of its aspects from the PvE to the PvP and the player interaction in the towns. From what I've seen GW2 looks stunning, can't wait.

As for the Trooper, I have to assume BioWare will be using the same D20 system they used for KOTOR to determine successful hits and what not. I don't have a huge problem with that, as long as I feel epic smoking Imperial Agents with 'mah lazar' I'll be cool with it.

I hear ya, Pol. I really like reading about GW2 and watching their videos. It's clear ArenaNet is very intent on shaking things up and getting away from typical "MMO-iness". I guess when I read into that what I see is "getting away from WoW's formula".

It makes me wish ArenaNet was making TOR, TBH. I'm not really that hyped about the story aspect of TOR but from what I've seen of the gameplay it just looks so bland, stereotypical, and uninspired.

And after playing GA for awhile now, which is the epitome of great (not-truly-an) MMO combat I kinda cringe a little when I think of TOR.

Still, I get to dress up in white and slay Sith. That alone, that alone...

:zSW_stormtroopers: :zSW_stormtrooper:

Sign in to follow this