Sign in to follow this  
NovaQuark

[DLU] COMMUNITY SPOTLIGHT #3

1 post in this topic

community_spotlight_3.jpg__960x540_q85_s

This is why we’ve created The Dual Universe Community Spotlight. With it, we hope to interview some of our most interesting and influential community members to showcase those contributions to the Dual Universe Community. We hope that you look forward to hearing their stories as much as we do!

This time, we have a chat with Kurock.

Novaquark: To start things off, could you briefly introduce yourself?
Kurock: Hi guys. This is Kurock from South Africa. I'm 36 and a father of two. A long long time ago, Baldur’s Gate kicked off my love for RPGs. Besides a player of pen and paper RPGs (where I GM'd for Pathfinder Society), and an avid board game collector (The Battlestar Galactica board game is well worth a look), I played a fair number of PC games. Most notably, I played and later GM'd for a local Ultima Online shard. From there I went from game to game, never really finding a place to stay for too long. Until now...

Novaquark: How and when did you discover Dual Universe? What was it that brought you into the community?
Kurock: Dual Universe first appeared on my radar in early 2016 when I happened to come across the E3 2016 trailer on YouTube around about the time when I was a little fed up with Space Engineers lack of stable multiplayer. My final pinch of skepticism was dispelled when JC explained the server architecture in a later video.

During the Kickstarter I was a bit worried about the connection quality from South Africa but backed anyway. (Happily my worries proved to be ill founded.) It was during the Kickstarter that I joined the community on the forums and discord. And the rest, as they say, is history.

Novaquark: What is it you find so enticing about Dual Universe?
Kurock: Am I allowed to say "everything"? No? Ok, let's get stuck in then.

The server architecture (no loading screens between planets) and the sheer amount of planned mechanics in Dual Universe (building, scanning, RDMS, etc.) are certainly appealing. The idea that all aspects of the game are easy to get into but also has depth for those that want to delve deeper is a design decision I enjoy.

But most of all, in Dual Universe the designs not only come to life, but they persist. They matter because they affect other players. There are many single player and multiplayer games where I could create as you wish but the world itself doesn't really change. Also, by "designs" I don't mean only building a construct but also social interactions, ranging from hovercraft races to memes like "Just DU it".

Novaquark: Everyone has goals they want to achieve when it comes to in-game content. What are you planning to accomplish in the future?
Kurock: The short answer is add content to DU for other players to enjoy, and have tons of fun while doing so. I wish for Dual Universe to be inclusive rather than exclusive: A sandbox where all players have a chance to play as they wish to play, be that solo, in a small group or part of a nation.

The longer answer is how I intend to go about that. Firstly there is the organization known as DICE. DICE is an in-game gaming events organizer and games distributor. The games encompass everything from hovercraft races to arena sports, from maze and puzzle games to arcade style games. You can find more about DICE in Novean Dreamers Almanac issue 2.

Secondly with the following neutral organizations that all have a shared purpose: to provide job boards (player generated quests) open for those that are willing to take them. Each organization is dedicated to a specific area of expertise in Dual Universe and also has an extra something unique to that organisation (Dual Universe Wayfarers, Fullmetal Aegis, DU Constructors Guild, Drillers Bar, DU Space Truckers).

If this sounds like a lot for one person to do, it is. Which is why I am always on the lookout for other passionate players that wish to help to build a more exciting DU.

Of course I intend to continue my involvement in the community, be it moderating on the Dual Universe Discord, collecting community news in Dual Universe Historical Society , writing articles for Outpost Zebra, or encouraging open community projects like Tortuga City and Alioth Aerospace Expo.

Novaquark: You’re a busy man, indeed! Among all that, you have also found time to write short stories about the game. You entered the first two NovaWrimo contests and even won the Community Vote twice for “Experiment Alpha” and “Bastille”. What inspired you to write these?
Kurock: Experiment Alpha takes inspiration from JC. His flying around in godmode in early DU videos, to be exact. In Dual Universe lore, the alpha testing phase is a simulation and I thought that would be a great setting for a story since it seems real but there is still plenty of room for glitches in the matrix. Like space whales. Throwing in a few topics that shall not be named, a dash of my special brand of humor and wrapped in a Scheherazade story structure, I had a short story that was aimed squarely to gain the community's approval.

For Bastille, I went with a nameless protagonist on a heroes journey with prison themes. Again peppered with my humor (which some say is a little strange), many covert references to other SciFi works, and a twist at the end. The prototype inventions of DU play a large role in Bastille, with a touch more world building that's the first story with the introduction of the Centauri.

Novaquark: Do you have any specific hopes from Dual Universe in terms of its lore and storyline?
Kurock: The core story of DU, the neutron star causing humanity to evacuate earth in Arkships, is a solid one. I enjoy the lore explanations for the technology, though some do find the resurrection node lore to be a bit of a stretch. I think less multiple universes and more quantum sampling and entanglement would go down a bit better.

The four political factions of the UEF, the Alphas, Luminous, Ethereals, and Emporium seem a bit one dimensional. They seem more like generic game factions than parts of an organization that want to save humanity. Their domains are fine but they are missing character.

Finally, I hope the storyline for after landing on Alioth is formed by the players. Oh and space whales.

Novaquark: Well, we can assume players with some imagination could design spaceships with that kind of shape, right? :)
Kurock
: Whale shaped ships? Challenge accepted :)

Novaquark: You mentioned that you were one of the moderators on the community Discord. How did you end up with that position and what does it imply on a daily basis?
Kurock
: I joined the community discord in September 2016. In May 2017 I was asked by Comrademoco on behalf of the discord admins to become a moderator. I accepted.

Daily duties involve answering discord and Dual Universe related questions, helping people to their correct discord roles and very occasionally hosing down offenders when tempers flare.

The community, in general, is friendly and will quickly help newcomers with their questions. If we were handing out the title of "most friendly and helpful soul" it would go to msoul.

Novaquark: We’ve been really curious about the answer to this last question. Since the “Let’s DU it” thing that you mentioned earlier came from you, could you tell us how it started? Was it just a pun? We know where it ended, but where did the idea initially come from?
Kurock
: It started as a pun on discord. Code24 made the "Just DU it" image which was set up on the discord to appear whenever anyone said "Just DU it". Yamamushi created the Back Dual Universe Today! which further solidified the meme. There are many more DU memes but they have not made it onto JCs wall (yet).

__

Thanks to Kurock for taking the time to answer our questions! We hope that you enjoyed our conversation as much as we did. In the future, we’ll be reaching out to more community members on a host of topics, introducing you to them, and sharing their achievements to our incredible community. If there is someone you feel should be in the spotlight, please let us know!

Previous interview of Falstaf is still available here: https://www.dualthegame.com/en/news/2018/04/10/community-spotlight-2/

Previous interview of Aetherios is still available here: https://www.dualthegame.com/en/news/2018/01/31/community-spotlight-1/

View the full article

Sign in to follow this