Sign in to follow this  
Cavadus

Fallout 4

46 posts in this topic

Here is, official discussion thread of the mother of all games.  I just found this yesterday and it's awesome.  Little bit of text info and two great videos (especially the second one).

http://bethesda.net/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=091515-custom&hootPostID=03161904c6df221e938a88d19f9fc75c#en/events/game/fallout-4-player-freedom-in-an-open-world/2015/09/15/27

I'm really looking forward to Fallout 4 and November is almost here only month and 3 days left. Been playing a lot of single player style games with my Volunteering out at the local Haunted House Pre-Season building rooms and getting everything ready opened Sept. 10th and last weekend was very busy we had over 11,000 people. So After Nov. 10th I should be able to come back to active duty.

Also majorly looking forward to XCom 2 enjoyed the first one have 311 hours so far.

I am honestly getting a bit tired of all the "season pass" mentality that games have been doing lately. Most of the times the content does not match an overpriced "Season pass cost" and I feel that the content they release via the season pass should have been included in the game before release. There are very few games out there that actually offer any type of added value worth of paying 30, 40 or 50 bucks for content that we dont even know what its going to be nor when it will be released.

I generally agree with ya, Tsarg, but if FO3 and FONV are indication Bethesda's DLCs are usually the size of most expansions these days.  I'm think specifically of the alien mothership DLC or The Pitt DLC (which I really liked).  And that one that sends you down to the bayou... gah, all of the FO3 DLCs were good.  FONV too.

I think we all need to get over the DLC and season pass systems. They are here to stay, and if you look at the progression of games along with their cost it is completely understandable. Games get better every year, and everyg ame takes a step forward if not a huge leap in anything from story telling, graphics, optimization, mechanics, and game play overall. Now look at the cost of a video game over the past few years. In 1990 a game would cost around $50.00, which, according to the IGN article source listed below, is about $89.00 today. If you look at inflation rates in general, game quality and progression, and actual prices of games over several years, you can see that games are at a higher quality than ever, cost less than ever (relative to inflation) and are progressing faster than ever. DLC and season passes are a business model to fill in for the inflation rates that weren't being kept up with in the gaming industry. Yes, the DLC might not be worth $30.00 in your eyes, but $30.00 added onto the absolute MAXIMUM you would pay for a brand new AAA game ($60.00)  is, shockingly, almost dead equivalent to where the price of a whole game should be in inflation rates.

So, I have changed my view on DLC and Season Passes. Think of the initial purchase of your game as a down payment. Pay most of the cost of the game up front to get the whole thing, now if you enjoy it go and buy the DLC or season pass to pay the rest of what IT SHOULD HAVE COSTED TO BEGIN WITH and you even get a little extra game content as a gift :). These game companies can't just make better games and mark up the price to where it should be at anyways due to natural inflation (which almost every other market follows) because people would freak out saying how game companies are greedy and just want more money when you as a consumer are asking a profit-focused business, to make better quality games that break barriers in the industry, making more frequent games, with less money every year. The video game consumer base is to publishers as the US government is to NASA.

Don't believe me? IGN said roughly the same thing two years ago: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/15/the-real-cost-of-gaming-inflation-time-and-purchasing-power

I generally agree with ya, Tsarg, but if FO3 and FONV are indication Bethesda's DLCs are usually the size of most expansions these days.  I'm think specifically of the alien mothership DLC or The Pitt DLC (which I really liked).  And that one that sends you down to the bayou... gah, all of the FO3 DLCs were good.  FONV too.

Bethesda DLC are always great. It really varies behind which publisher is making them. But, following my previous post, what you are getting in FO4 and all new games is FAR worth more than $60.00 lowsy bucks. Heck, I'd pay over $100.00 for the base FO4 game if not more.

Im sorry that we cant agree on this. You look at it one way and I look at it another way. To me, those games of old that people used to buy in the 90s (probably only people 30 and above will remember this) had some agregated value in it. For one they were hard copy disks, for second they always came with a printed manual that could've been a book, hell sometimes even with posters and whole maps printed in them. Nowadays they done even come in hard disk anymore. Probably half of the sales are digital downloads. Now they dont even offer you a figure or anything else (with very few exceptions) for pre-ordering a game like they did before, now they just give you digital stuff in the game, be it a new sword or that super duper overkill weapon that nobody else will have (nobody else that doesnt buy the same pre-order you did that is). 

So to me what you call inflation adjustment, I call making a product with less value and a higher cost for the end user. Sure there are great games out there, and bethesda delivered when it came the turn of Fallout 3, and I wouldnt dream of signaling them out as a bad developer or anything, but the fact that they are doing this whole season pass strategy leaves a sour taste in my mouth. 

The whole gaming industry with its alphas, betas, kickstarters, season passes, etc, etc is leaving a lot to be desired. As I said, there will always be serious developers that keep in mind the wellfare of the games and give us a good balance between cost and value and they well deserve to be able to charge for a DLC, but I'll never accept them charging me almost the same cost of the game twice for a season pass without even telling me how many DLC we are getting or what kind of content will it have.

Then again, its just my humble opinion and point of view on the matter. The funny thing about that, its that opinions are like assholes, everybody has one.

Im sorry that we cant agree on this. You look at it one way and I look at it another way. To me, those games of old that people used to buy in the 90s (probably only people 30 and above will remember this) had some agregated value in it. For one they were hard copy disks, for second they always came with a printed manual that could've been a book, hell sometimes even with posters and whole maps printed in them. Nowadays they done even come in hard disk anymore. Probably half of the sales are digital downloads. Now they dont even offer you a figure or anything else (with very few exceptions) for pre-ordering a game like they did before, now they just give you digital stuff in the game, be it a new sword or that super duper overkill weapon that nobody else will have (nobody else that doesnt buy the same pre-order you did that is). 

So to me what you call inflation adjustment, I call making a product with less value and a higher cost for the end user. Sure there are great games out there, and bethesda delivered when it came the turn of Fallout 3, and I wouldnt dream of signaling them out as a bad developer or anything, but the fact that they are doing this whole season pass strategy leaves a sour taste in my mouth. 

The whole gaming industry with its alphas, betas, kickstarters, season passes, etc, etc is leaving a lot to be desired. As I said, there will always be serious developers that keep in mind the wellfare of the games and give us a good balance between cost and value and they well deserve to be able to charge for a DLC, but I'll never accept them charging me almost the same cost of the game twice for a season pass without even telling me how many DLC we are getting or what kind of content will it have.

Then again, its just my humble opinion and point of view on the matter. The funny thing about that, its that opinions are like assholes, everybody has one.

Having an opinion, and an asshole, are good things in my opinion ;). I also love having discussions about stuff like this, as to give us all different insights into different topics :).

Even being one of the youngest members in the whole legion I personally remember the physical copies and manuals as well as the cool extra stuff like printed maps. I do miss the manuals as they were convenient for when I had to write a cheat code down XD. The digital copies are so much more convenient though, so I think both have pluses and drawbacks. Most people buying physical copies are doing it for sentimental value, and it has to be a very small percentage of people. I also can't blame developers and publishers for trying to switch everyone over to digital versions. As a business owner and entrepreneur I personally love digital sale items. No manufacturing, no distribution, no hassle. The digital world made it possible for businesses to sell something that doesn't physically exist with little overhead cost (this is actually a beautiful thing to me XD).

Now it is always wrong to lie or deceive buyers into paying first for less than what they expect. The whole paying first for a product you haven't tried yet system isn't really new. Pre-orders have been around for a long time. That is where knowledge of the developer and publisher come in. Know who you are buying from and your chances of being disappointed go way down. Also the way I look at Season Passes helps to reduce any hair-pulling. I don't think I have ever wanted to get my money back for a DLC or Season pass. Seeing that a large pizza for delivery can easily cost around $20 a $30 season pass seems like a fair trade to me lol.

Now if you would like to discuss Early Access and alphas and all that I love discussing those topics. However, we may need to make a new thread to discuss as it's not really FO4 related at that point.

And I love disagreeing with people, there's no fun in agreeing and no one learns anything from "I agree with..."

I definitely think there's something to be said about quality declining. Remember when single player games used to last 30 to 60 hours? Now the average single player campaign for a shooter is more like 4 hours.

So while game prices haven't adjusted for inflation I think that's offset by most games having far less content than they used to.

You defined it to just shooters though for modern games, which are the least story driven games out there. CoD stories are just as crappy today as they were years ago. The Last of Us, arguably the BEST game story EVER created in all of gaming. One of the most influential and emotional stories of all medias. Spec Ops The Line wasn't released all that long ago and has one of the most controversial and riveting stories of any game I have played. Mass Effect trilogy + the new game, many arguing have one of the best stories of all games and they are still going (minus the crappy ending). On top of game stories holding their ground if not improving we have better graphical quality than ever, bigger worlds than ever, more to do in games and explore.

If you look at all games overall, and not just the living room casual shooters, progress has continually been made, if not more than ever. I think one of the big problems with the gaming consumers is that they have always been given more. We always expect the next game in a series to do something ground-breaking. Just look at FO4, incredibly improved graphics, more content, more world space to explore, and more new mechanics that some of which have never been done before, and many people are still complaining they haven't done enough.

We as gamers have been spoiled, wanting more and more in less time than ever.

Season Pass is only 29.99 on Steam that's actually not bad and Bestheda usually put's out 5 DLC's for their games with loads of content to explore and survive and thanks to the Modding community these games have even more great content and added story's.

I loved FO3 for the ability to explore to my heart's content although I still wanted to explore those subway cars that were always blacked out an solid!

FNV I enjoyed for the followers and the story's they brought to the table and I enjoyed the expansion's.

FO4 at least with the Season Pass it will cover all the DLC and you only pay the $30 not like Destiny's Season Pass that only covered 2 DLC's and then you had to pay for the rest.

I think if a game has good content, good story's and are fun to explore you'll come back and replay it eventually, I played the first Dragon Age probably 23x's, Dragon Age 2 around 17x's unfortunately the 3rd Dragon Age only 3x's so far. Mass Effect is still my all time favorite series put in many hours in both 1 & 2 though 3 pissed me off when I saw the ending and shelved it for a few months then I found a Mod that did away with those choices and Starkid and I was happy again.

Though in truth my ultimate favorite Series to date will be Wing Commander, when Wing Commander 2 came out I bought it on 3.5 floppy disks and the speech pack was sold separately so I think I paid like $120 but I had a blast and lots of fun so it was worth it.

I think SWTOR was the most expensive Collectors Edition I ever bought, I remember getting the Fallout 3 Collectors Edition the Pip Boy Alarm clock sucked the life out of battery's in less than 24 hours so makes a better item to view than use.

Oh and I did order the Fallout 4 Pip Boy Edition and will still get the Season Pass!

Though I did love the games of the early to late 90's we had cool books that came with the game's and I still read Fallout and Fallout 2's book's their enjoyable even tried out a couple of the recipes!

have gotten the 10-13 from work and ordered the limited edition collector guide book-package. gonna be an awesome week. for us that are playing want to meet on mummble to chat as we play?

I was hoping to get a mumble channel set up for Fallout 4. I'll get someone on that by release. Two weeks to go fellas!

Guest Cabledx48

So far so good. The game look great even on low setting which i am running. A huge world to explore and get lost in. Let to do from killing dudes and or crafting and scraping things. I have not dived to hard into crafting yes so i dont know everything about it yet. And finally it freaking Fallout 4 i didnt expect anything less and i got so much more.

Absolutely phenomenal. I love that you can immediately tell that they want you to get distracted and run off to do something else.

I have just now encountered my first serious game bug. My game will when I enter one quest area for the main story quest Hunter/Hunted. This is a real serious one as I can't progress into the main story at all.

A+++++++++++++ Must have game!!!!!!!! Every ounce of the hype wasn't enough to describe how awesome this game is. 

We should burn, all those who don't want to buy FO4, at the stake for being fallout heathens!

Not gonna lie I took the release day off and played it for 16 hours, in three chunks. Also I've also spent of 5-7 of my 35+ hours of playtime just scavenging for random items like tin cans or pots or plastic forks and so on all over the world for the purpose of scraping them into base components and use them for base building or armor/weapon/power armor upgrading. I already have a fully upgraded T-60F Power Suit with full maxed combat armor and 23 Fusion Cores, already went through around 8 cores. Lastly I have fully upgraded .50 BMG sniper, .308 Combat rifle, maxed out heavy combat shotgun & 12 Fatman rounds

I admit these things without a single drop of shame lol :P

Awards

Nekuzar's Field Report:

Hardware:

Bad Ass PC

Bethesda's Pip Boy Hardware

iPhone 6s

The real-life pip boy is NOT overrated!! As soon as I started to use it, I immediately felt immersed in the game! Fallout 4 has given me a lot of laughs. I've found Easter eggs everywhere, and tributes to past games and games of other developers. The story of Vault-Tec is deepening into a dark void! Wow guys! I know what the game of the year is!

Nekuzar's Field Report:

Hardware:

Bad Ass PC

Bethesda's Pip Boy Hardware

iPhone 6s

The real-life pip boy is NOT overrated!! As soon as I started to use it, I immediately felt immersed in the game! Fallout 4 has given me a lot of laughs. I've found Easter eggs everywhere, and tributes to past games and games of other developers. The story of Vault-Tec is deepening into a dark void! Wow guys! I know what the game of the year is!

Completely agree here! Upgrading my GPU before FO4 was one of the best decisions I've made this year. My rig runs on Ultra PERFECTLY.

I really want FO4 to get game of the year, as I feel it by far deserves it, but there are so many people hating on the game without good reason. Almost all the complaints are unjustified and come from ignorance of not understanding the game or franchise.

The trolls make me rage so hard lol.

Overall, Fallout 4 is probably my number 1 favorite game of all time now! The only other new game that might be in my top 5 is the new need for speed game that hasn't come out for PC yet, but that is for nostalgia sake.

The Pip-boy app is pretty awesome. You don't need the actual Pip-boy edition to use the app, so my buddy and I have been backseat driving for each other during battles by using Stims, food, etc. You can also set waypoints on the map and view gear statistics from the app, so even when not playing, you get to play.

I have to concur with Stickman that the people bitching about the game are clueless. This is by far the best Fallout to date and definitely makes my list of must have games for any and all gamers out there (unless you simply hate this sort of game of course).

Awards