• Announcements

• Cavadus

Senatus Populusque Marianus, Citizen: Enlist today!   09/21/2017

Citizen of the Marian Hegemony; our records indicate that you have not enlisted in the Marian Hegemony Armed Forces.  It is every citizen's duty stand as bulwark against the savages in the inner sphere.   >> Enlist in the Legions today!
Sign in to follow this  
Cavadus

The Health & Fitness Thread

36 posts in this topic

So I figured I'd start this thread to see if anyone else was/is in a similar predicament or is just interested in some basic fitness.

Three weeks ago I finally got the gym membership I've been meaning to get for the past three years and thank fuck I did. 

Whence I last got out of the Army my fighting weight was right around 210.  After I got out I kept up with weight training pretty hard for the first year and probably bulked up another five to seven pounds so somewhere around 215 is probably what I should weigh.

Fast forward to last Halloween.  Saw some pictures of myself of last Halloween that a friend threw up on Facebook a month ago and was basically horrified at my appearance.  Had a physical a few weeks ago and I tipped the scale at 249.5.

And, TBPFH, I've pretty much felt like shit for about three years now.  Three or four headaches per week, pretty sedentary lifestyle, ate whatever the fuck, drank, smoked cigars, et cetera.

I did not feel particularly good or energetic.  Never got tested for it but I'm sure I was probably on the path to diabetes if I let it go until I was 40.

So, I can't say I radically altered my lifestyle but changes need to be made.

I'm just starting my fourth week at the gym.  I decided that my first two months were going to be nothing but boring ass cardio.  I actually don't mind cardio.

I started out doing thirty minutes on the eliptical and I've progressed to forty-five minutes on the elliptical at the maximum resistance level.  Today I'm going to start something new and do twenty minutes of running on the treadmill and thirty on the elliptical.

Last week I introduced a fully loaded load bearing vest to my elliptical workout.  Shit is heavy.  I have six twenty-round mags of 7.62NATO, IFAK, fully loaded camelbak, and some other miscellaneous shit in there likes binos, compass, et cetera.  The nice thing is that on the elliptical it's pretty bearable.  I'm going to do my first two weeks on the treadmill sans LBV.  Eventually I'll transition to my fully loaded plate carrier.

On the diet side, I cut back on booze and just eat a lot healthier during the day.  Lots more vegetables, obviously.  At work I keep bell peppers, avocados, and some fruit on hand.  I eat everything raw but only because I'm just too lazy to cook vegetables at work.  I drink a shitload of those Naked fruit/veggie smoothies.  At least two glasses per day.  I pretty much just constantly eat at work now.  Almost every hour I eat something.  An apple, a pepper, a banana, an avocado, yogurt, and so on and so forth.

For dinner I still pretty much eat whatever I want.  I've cut out sweets almost entirely.  In fact, until Valentine's dinner I had gone three weeks without eating any candy whatsoever.  On V-Day I had two truffles and the wife and I split a beer float.

But, the best thing to come out of all this is that with the exercise came plainly feeling better, more energy, and, most importantly, I can't eat nearly as much in one sitting.  I fill up much more quickly.  I never have room for seconds.  I have a personal rule to never eat past 2100 unless I plan on staying up pretty late.  Everything past 2100 is protein.

Anyways, I've dropped an even ten pounds in three weeks.  Today marks the start of week four.

The most important thing about all of this is that I make my workout my top priority.  My wife is also working out with me but often lets excuses get in the way of making it to the gym.  For me, doesn't matter what time it is, how tired I am, how much sleep I'm worried about getting, I'll gladly be late to anything, so long as I get my workout in.  I push my wife HARD and she started out in way better shape than I did.  We only work out maybe a third of the time together.  And I work six days a week, every week, and I take no days off from the gym though I go easy on Sunday and do the entire workout on the elliptical.

One of the most helpful things in all of this is that my gym is close.  Like, two blocks away close.  Makes it very easy.  If it were warmer I'd walk there.

Come the end of week eight I plan to work in some calisthenics and weight training.  I'd like to incorporate my rifle into all of this but I get enough weird looks with just the LBV on.  Dorkuses in Minnesota would probably shit themselves if they saw me walk in with a rifle and I live in an area where I probably couldn't even workout with one outside when it gets warmer which is frustrating.  I've found that the more military shit I can incorporate into it the higher my interest and motivation gets.  I've started doing rifle drills at home post-workout 

So, I know this got pretty rambly and disjointed but if anyone else out there is looking to get started on getting back into decent shape Snap Fitness has an intro price of $9 for the first month.  After that it's $20 or $30 or something.  Getting back into it has been surprisingly easy and I'm way ready to be back in fighting shape.

Ya I really need to get my butt back into the gym, I usually just do weight training, but I should really get that cardio back in gear, if any kind of apocalypse did happen I wouldn't be able to run for shit right now, and that would not be good for survival!

I can sympathize with you Cav. When I was going to the gym 5 days a week, I would do an hour of cardio and then 2-3 hours of free weights, during that time I was 250lb. (admittedly I did go overboard a bit - at that time I was measuring 36" waist, 50" chest and 24" biceps) When I stopped going to the gym through lack of funds and switched to staying up all night playing with you guys, my eating habits and sleep pattern went out the window and over 2-3 years I jumped from 250 to 280lbs which is my current weight. 

I have no chance of losing any through working because I always go for fork lift truck driving jobs - all I do is switch from sitting on my ass in front of the PC to sitting on my ass in a fork lift truck lol. My biggest problem now is motivation, I just can't be bothered to go back to the gym (the nearest one to me is 3 miles away) I even have a couple of exercise DVD's on the PC but the conversation in my head always goes "right I'll start tomorrow", then tomorrow comes around and I find an excuse not to do it and tell myself "right I'll start tomorrow" lol.

Yeah, really what did it for me was seeing some awful pictures of myself combined with having a 24-hour gym a mere block away.  Things couldn't be any easier.  So far I've upped my cardio to 45 minutes but I FARTLEK style running on the elliptical so two minutes of sprint on the highest resistance, one minute jog on low resistance, one minute jog on high resistance, one minute jog on low resistance, and then back to the two minute sprint on the highest resistance.

On the little calorie counter I generally aim to burn 1,000 calories per session.  At 40 minutes when I first started I was only burning between 650 and 700 so I've come along way for cardio.  Tonight will actually be my first real run outside.  We finally have some decent temps around here.

Ya, I've got the reverse problem. I've always been underweight, like severely (not because of eating, just naturally). 

So, I got a trainer and worked with him for a few months till my sessions ran out, gained a little weight, got a hell of a lot stronger, and feel great now. But, after the sessions ended I stopped going, and I felt like I was only doing it to please other people (which isn't exactly a good motivation).

Now, I have found new motivation to see what I can push MYSELF to do. I'm not going to the gym, but I am doing a lot from home. I have actually caught back up to where I was and have just surpassed my previous strength. I may not be using the latest equipment or training plans, but I've got one heck of a motivation now.

As hard as it can be to stay motivated through gaining weight, just because it is just about the hardest thing you can do health wise when you are naturally a very skinny person, I am more involved in my own health than ever. I am tracking everything now, water intake, calories, activity, weight, workouts, and I feel like I get it now (even though I never get enough water).

I wanted to refrain from giving numbers (from fear of the reactions), but, screw it. I am 6' 4", and weighed 96 lbs before I started training. I was able to make it up to about 104 with training, and then dropped like five pounds when I quit. Now I have restarted workouts on my own, and have made it up to 105 in about a week and a half of really getting back into it. I am amazed by my strength now, going from not being able to do a push up to doing pull ups all day and some more complex push ups.

Good luck with all your goals, I'll update if I ever make some serious progress.

Dang, Stickman.  Wish I could donate some fatty tissue your way :P

I'm officially down to 231.  Two days in a row.  I really want to get under 230 by this weekend.  Losing 20 lbs is a big mental goal.  Realistically, I think I need to be around 210.  Buried under all of this flab is a good bit of muscle waiting to be seen again.  

I had a similar issue of ballooning after getting out of the military. Prior to my military exit, I had been dealing with my back surgeries and was given opiates by the boatload, so I wasn't eating much. I ended up getting down to about 145 lbs. from my infantry honed 170 lbs. fighting weight. After my surgeries I decided to cut the opiates out for a while to reset my pain tolerance and have had them slowly reintroduced after about a year of being painkiller free.

So anyway, between March of 2008 when I got out of the military to the summer of 2011 I had found my appetite again and didn't exercise at all because of my back. I hit 220 lbs. and one day realized just how big I had gotten in comparison to where I should be at. It took a while for me to actually change my diet, but over the last year and a half I have shed off the excess weight and I am back down to about 155 lbs.

I am definitely looking at adding exercise back into my life, but back issues make that difficult. I found that the right diet, or at least less frequent eating of utter crap, is something that can work quite well. I primarily eat a diet that is near vegan, but I do eat a decent amount of chicken still because I need at least some sort of meat in my diet. I eat a lot of salad, using a combination of Romaine Lettuce, Spinach Leaves, and Kale. Add in assorted veggies (carrots, celery, tomato (yes I know that one is a fruit)), olives, salad dressing, parmesan cheese, and chicken creates one hell of a satisfying meal that is overall healthy and full of energy providing nutrients.

I also eat a lot of Soba Noodles (or any other type of Japanese noodle varieties) and a decent amount of fruit. In fact, fruit is primarily what I snack on now, but I do snack on tortilla chips or pretzels as well. A bit high in sodium, but not too unhealthy otherwise.

So yeah...If you want to lose weight, eating right can help a lot! Classic "diets" are silly and generally restrict you from eating anything you actually like, so just form your own diet that works for you! The other thing to look at is consuming only products that use real sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup and cutting out as many other ridiculous additives from the foods you eat. They are unhealthy overall, and the price difference for naturally processed foods is barely noticeable on a lot of products.

Good luck!!!

Awards

Figured I'd report in real quick.  I had a two week break from the gym due to my horrible respiratory infection but I was so sick and on so much OTC medication, and then prescription medication, that I was barely eating and continued to lose weight so... that was good.

Anyways, the scale read 220 even last night which means down a hair less than 30 pounds.  Not too bad.  I think I have about ten, maybe fifteen to go, but the weight came off very quickly last week (started at 227 on Monday).  I don't expect that to continue BUT I should be able to easily finish this up in sixty days or less and then go into some weight training and maintenance cardio.  I will not be stopping exercise or anything and will keep my new eating habits.  It does make me feel a shit load better, I sleep better, et cetera.

And while all of this has been great my clothes situation has been sucking.  I have basically no button down shirts that fit me anymore and one pair of jeans that fits which I bought as kind of a stop gap a few weeks ago.  I gave away all of my skinny clothes last summer.  Dammit.

The wife has been working out with me, too, and she looks great.  I attached a pic of us from last Friday.  Those of you at last year's meet and greet will definitely notice the difference.

IMG_7085.JPG

Looking good man, keep up the good work!

I really need to get back into the gym myself, I've noticed I have been getting a bit chubby lately, plus with the meds I'm on for my kidney disease I am actually gaining weight now, which was almost impossible for me to do before, I'm up to like 160lbs and before the meds and stuff I was 130lbs at best. Gonna have to turn all this fancy new weight into something fierce!

Haven't posted in awhile but I've transitioned to outdoor running and have made some big progress.  I'm up to running 4.5 miles in 45 minutes and I'm interspersing some sprint intervals in the run (doing around 12 sprints total for the whole run).  I've seen my first mile time drop by 1:30 which is awesome.  My weekly goal is 25 miles worth of running.

Ya, I've got the reverse problem. I've always been underweight, like severely (not because of eating, just naturally). 

So, I got a trainer and worked with him for a few months till my sessions ran out, gained a little weight, got a hell of a lot stronger, and feel great now. But, after the sessions ended I stopped going, and I felt like I was only doing it to please other people (which isn't exactly a good motivation).

Now, I have found new motivation to see what I can push MYSELF to do. I'm not going to the gym, but I am doing a lot from home. I have actually caught back up to where I was and have just surpassed my previous strength. I may not be using the latest equipment or training plans, but I've got one heck of a motivation now.

As hard as it can be to stay motivated through gaining weight, just because it is just about the hardest thing you can do health wise when you are naturally a very skinny person, I am more involved in my own health than ever. I am tracking everything now, water intake, calories, activity, weight, workouts, and I feel like I get it now (even though I never get enough water).

I wanted to refrain from giving numbers (from fear of the reactions), but, screw it. I am 6' 4", and weighed 96 lbs before I started training. I was able to make it up to about 104 with training, and then dropped like five pounds when I quit. Now I have restarted workouts on my own, and have made it up to 105 in about a week and a half of really getting back into it. I am amazed by my strength now, going from not being able to do a push up to doing pull ups all day and some more complex push ups.

Good luck with all your goals, I'll update if I ever make some serious progress.

Yoga does a lot with flexibility and core strength. It's not overly difficult to do. If you've done any major callisthenics before, Yoga is easier in comparison. Getting into positions, however, might prove challenging... but if you're a smaller person, then you shouldn't have any problem. 

So, I've begun my weight loss progress and got back in the gym tonight. The Mrs and I have started 21-day fix, and I've lost 4 pounds since starting this week. Today was first day back to the gym, and I've been doing 30 minute power walks at a 2.0 incline at 3.2 speed. It gets my heart rate up to 140 and I can maintain that the entire time. I would like to lose 100 lbs and tone up quite a  bit. Any suggestions would be helpful and appreciated.

I started doing the elliptical. I got up to 45 minutes at maximum resistance.

Once spring hit I switched to running and it was fucking tough at first. My legs hurt so much and I only about 2.5 miles in 24 minutes.

But I ran every other day and made a point to add one minute per run. Half the time I added two.

Anyways, it took me a month and a half to get up to 5 miles. Now I can interval run that entire 5 miles in about 42 minutes which is fast enough to pass Ranger school.

So my biggest piece of advice is to always push that extra minute or two every time. It really add up quickly.

So, I've begun my weight loss progress and got back in the gym tonight. The Mrs and I have started 21-day fix, and I've lost 4 pounds since starting this week. Today was first day back to the gym, and I've been doing 30 minute power walks at a 2.0 incline at 3.2 speed. It gets my heart rate up to 140 and I can maintain that the entire time. I would like to lose 100 lbs and tone up quite a  bit. Any suggestions would be helpful and appreciated.

I would definitely recommend doing weight training as well, don't worry about trying to hit max weight, just to lots of reps and at least 3 sets for each exercise, and hit every muscle group throughout the week. Yes muscle does way more than fat, but in the end this will help you shed those pounds your planning on losing. Getting both lots of cardio and weight training in will help you lose the weight quicker.

Also, diet plays a HUGE part in this, you need to reduce the intake of sugar, and carbs, and possibly increase the protein intake a little to help grow them muscles. Eating healthier and watching your numbers will do wonders when trying to lose weight.

WIsh you the best of luck on this Lightfoot, it is never an easy road, but its so worth it in the end!

I would definitely recommend doing weight training as well, don't worry about trying to hit max weight, just to lots of reps and at least 3 sets for each exercise, and hit every muscle group throughout the week. Yes muscle does way more than fat, but in the end this will help you shed those pounds your planning on losing. Getting both lots of cardio and weight training in will help you lose the weight quicker.

Also, diet plays a HUGE part in this, you need to reduce the intake of sugar, and carbs, and possibly increase the protein intake a little to help grow them muscles. Eating healthier and watching your numbers will do wonders when trying to lose weight.

WIsh you the best of luck on this Lightfoot, it is never an easy road, but its so worth it in the end!

Thanks, man. Yeah, I did hit the weight machines today and did upper body. I'm gonna be hurting in the morning, I'm sure. I plan on doing cardio AND weights six days a week and resting on Sunday. 

Diet is actually covered. The 21-day Fix is all whole veggies/fruits and whole grains. No processed sugars, no added anything. There are some things like oils we can use sparingly, and we have a list of freebies that we can use. Tobasco and Spicy Mustard are on that list, and I couldn't be happier.

I've lost 4 pounds on diet alone thus far, and I expect to ramp that up once I start doing more exercises. 

I started doing the elliptical. I got up to 45 minutes at maximum resistance.

Once spring hit I switched to running and it was fucking tough at first. My legs hurt so much and I only about 2.5 miles in 24 minutes.

But I ran every other day and made a point to add one minute per run. Half the time I added two.

Anyways, it took me a month and a half to get up to 5 miles. Now I can interval run that entire 5 miles in about 42 minutes which is fast enough to pass Ranger school.

So my biggest piece of advice is to always push that extra minute or two every time. It really add up quickly.

Were doing a walk/run? or were you doing a light jog/run?

Well, my first go-round for 21-day fix has been quite a success. I've lost 17 lbs in 21 days, I've noticed a size difference in my midriff and my face is noticeably smaller. I have a ton more energy, too. 

85 lbs left to go. I feel quite confident I can make this change in less than a year.

I need to look into this. Just got told my triglycerides are too high. Just means I need to step away from the smoker with the yummy brisket and pulled pork and step into some running shoes.