Sign in to follow this  
Tsarg

Framerate drop

12 posts in this topic

I read somewhere that the high end specs from todays computers will be medium to average specs when SC is released. To be honest i didnt think it would be that bad until i downloaded the hangar module last night. My framerate while running it dropped considerably as to 10 FPS or even 7 FPPS at times. Now i dont consider my laptop to be the highest computer around, but it sure as hell does not merit that kind of framerate on any game. My computer specs are as follows:

Alienware 17

Processor: i7-4700MQ 2.4GHZ

RAM: 16GB

Video: Nvidia 770M http://www.geforce.com/hardware/notebook-gpus/geforce-gtx-770m/specifications

Now .... is this kind of FPS drop normal for a laptop such as mine or am I doing something wrong??

Another thing is not only the framerate drops significantly, but also the laptop seems to be completely pushed to the limit.

Did i just spend money in a game that I will never be able to run??? i sincerely hope the answer to that is no.

Funny you mention your issue and it turns out you have an Nvidia 770M in your machine. I have heard complaints about other games in relation to framerate drops and the common denominator I have identified is the 770M. I don't know what the issue is with it, but I will look more into the issue and see if we have any further data here at S2 Games that might shed some light on an unknown issue with the card.

You have a great system there, so don't worry about having wasted money on it. I stand by all Alienware products, as I have never had an Alienware system that wasn't absolutely awesome. In fact, my current main gaming rig is about 5 years old, and other than upgrading my graphics card and tossing an SSD in it, I haven't done anything with it and only made the upgrades listed because I wanted to and not because it was necessary. In fact, I had the HD 5970 in that rig to start with, and that card is still fairly awesome to this day, dependent on the VMem requirements of the game. It has a dual processor setup, with a dedicated 1gb VRAM per processor, so games like BF3/BF4 end up using a lot of I/O with the HDD to compensate.

Anyway, make sure you are using the most updated driver for your card. If you still have the issue, downgrade your driver incrementally, version by version, until you find one that works. That is where I would start and gives you something to try while I see if I can find anything more to do. Might end up needing to update the 770M's Bios, but we will get to that after more research on this.

*ADDITION* - Also check on Dell's site for updates for your laptop. You may want to let it run the full diagnostics with its toolset, but definitely check to see if there is a critical update needed for the 770M.

Awards

Awesome, thanks for the advice. I just got the new drivers for my card yesterday, but i never thought on doing the opposite and going back on driver versions. Ill give it a try and let you guys know.

Another thing I'm kinda concerned about is that in game the graphics options are simply limited to my resolution and a general setting of low/medium/high/yaddah. I have it setup on low but i wondered if there is any way to actually setup individual options for the different graphics settings like anti-aliasing, textures, bloom, motion blur and the likes.

I will echo your statement and say that so far this alienware is way beyond my initial expectations, and is turning to be a monster when it comes to gaming performance. I run ArmA3, BF4, Skyrim, Farcry 3, and a whole bunch of games with maxed settings and hadn't encountered any problems until i came up with this particular game (SC).

Thanks for the help!

I would just like to add, that sometimes dumbing down the settings in a game can hurt the performace, for some reason some cards just don't like being gimped. Maybe try some higher settings and see if that improves at all. Also make sure you don't have a firewall or antivirus program that is messing with the hangar module server connections.

I would just like to add, that sometimes dumbing down the settings in a game can hurt the performace, for some reason some cards just don't like being gimped. Maybe try some higher settings and see if that improves at all. Also make sure you don't have a firewall or antivirus program that is messing with the hangar module server connections.

As crazy as that sounds, I have found this to be true as well. I have no clue what it is that causes this, but I am assuming it is something along the lines of optimization related to DX9/DX10/DX11 within the driver.

Another thing to check, is your CPU clock speeds. There is a program called Core Temp which will allow you to do this easiest. Fire up the program, then go to 'Tools'->'System Information' (F3 shortcut). That should list all of your cores and threads and their frequency. Once you have a game running, and some load being tossed at your processor, check your core frequencies to make sure they are all at maximum frequency. If you notice they are not, or after watching a little you see that the frequencies keep dropping (and you should notice your FPS drop happening at the same time), then you have an issue with the power saving functions of your processor, which is fairly easy to resolve.

I am still looking into a few other things, but I may just toss you a modified older Nvidia driver which didn't originally support the 770M if you can't find a newer driver that works after the 314.22 driver.

Keep me posted and we will get this resolved for your or die trying!!!! (serious shit here yo!!!)

Awards

Ok, tried the thing with the drivers and went back two versions but that didnt help.

I installed Core Temp and the results for the frequency are as follows:

No load on the processors: varies from 3391.78 MHz to 3292.00 MHz

While executing SC: varies from 3192.24 MHz to 3292.00 MHz

Since i have absolutely no idea what those numbers mean and they are different, im going to assume something is wrong with my system. Another thing i have noticed is the following process:

1) Execute the launcher

2) Click play

3) Hangar starts loading (screen with the loading word) and everything seems fine

4) Screen with the loading word freezes for a few seconds

5) Screen with the loading word resumes with a drop in framerate and hangar finally loads a few seconds after.

I don't know if that helps with anything, but its what im seeing every time i popup the game.

Those clock frequencies seem to be just fine actually. If you were seeing dips down to 1400 MHz on any of your cores that would highlight a few possible issues, be it the Intel power save features or core optimization of the game engine. Gimme a couple days to get you a new driver configured and posted up so we can test to see if that helps. If it does then awesome, if not then we can move on to other options.

As I am only assuming here, SC is probably using DX11, so we may want to try and force DX9/DX10 to see if that helps as well, but that is something else I will have to look into, as I am currently not sure how to do that given the launcher is what triggers the game EXE and that may prevent usage of the general --dx9 flag that would need to be set.

I am super busy as usual, so this may take a couple days before I get over my current hurdle I have at work.

Awards

Hey Tsarg,

Did you ever get this resolved? The game isn't optimized yet, but there is still the possibility we could get things working better for you if needed. Just let me know one way or the other!

Awards

I found a website that listed the console commands for certain graphics adjustments such as motion blur, HDR, etc, etc. I deactivated all of them (except for the bloom which i never got to work with the command listed) and dropped the resolution a bit. At least now i can see the guy flowingly moving, but it is still far from the graphics i desire for a game. As you say the game is still being worked on and i had something similar happen with the ESO beta, which the gold version now works very good.

All of this was about 3 weeks ago and since then i havent tried running the hangar again. I guess ill wait for the next big update to the hangar before trying anything out. Ill keep you informed and thanks for all the help Striker!!!