• Announcements

• Cavadus

Senatus Populusque Marianus, Citizen: Enlist today!   09/21/2017

Citizen of the Marian Hegemony; our records indicate that you have not enlisted in the Marian Hegemony Armed Forces.  It is every citizen's duty stand as bulwark against the savages in the inner sphere.   >> Enlist in the Legions today!
Sign in to follow this  
Payton

Star Citizen Computer Rig

Question

Striker. you may have a way to do this, and others may have input, but:

Can we get a consensus on what a very good gaming computer would be - all the parts and all the components. A specific brand and part. A high level base unit that everyone can then adjust depending on preference and financial resources to pimp out for even higher levels of performance. Gather the information and then have one person say "This is what the 47th high level computer looks like" and list the specs.

Then can we find out how many of us would commit to getting that high level base computer. I am imagining one with 7.5/10 parts and components so there is room for improving. This may allow someone in the community to find a distributor who can get us a  bulk price discount on the computer or on the parts. If we had 15 or more orders we should be able to save some $, and if we could do it per component we could save $$$$. Since SC is 18 months away, we can budget and be ready a couple months before launch to get the order placed. New items may affect the "Menu" but we will have time to consider those things.  We may need a couple months for delivery, and someone may need to be the "warehouse"  but we'd be ready to roll at launch.

Payment would need to be made in advance and shipping would be dealt with after.

Then when there are performance issues or advice on improving settings, we can all be in sync and have a build in support community where everyone can speak the same language because we have the same rigs. And parts that then are added on could be discussed for compatibility. So we would ask for a specific discount of perhaps 25% of wholesale, and if we wanted the 9/10 part instead of the7.5/10 part we just amend our order accordingly and still get the discount, and know the 9/10 part is going to be compatible. 

36 answers to this question

Sapphire cards are available now: http://wccftech.com/sapphire-unleashes-radeon-r9-290x-radeon-r9-290-trix-edition-graphics-cards/

Personally, based on an immense amount of recent testing, Gigabyte and Sapphire are leading the competition for best quality for partner cards, followed by Asus, and then the rest of the companies pretty much don't shine, but are not bad. This is primarily based on the HD 7970 testing I have been doing, so obviously I can't guarantee anything for the R9 290/x series, but really it will boil down to quality of bios from those companies. If you don't plan on messing with updating your card bios, then any card will perform just about the same as long as the stock bios isn't fubared when you get it.

Also, remember that these cards have a dual bios. There is a little switch that is on the board near the end where you connect monitors (on the inside of the case though) that flips back and forth. Flip it toward bios1, positioned closest to the monitor connections (or left as looking at it installed), for silent mode and to the right for uber mode. Silent mode restricts top end of your fan, but is quieter and doesn't appear to have any performance decrease. I use Uber for higher fan rates as I use my card for crypto-currency mining when I am not gaming and need the higher fan rates.

Personally I set the target temperature to 90 degrees in the Catalyst Control Center as default target temperature is set to 95 degrees. When gaming the card doesn't get too loud, I don't have any performance decrease, and I get quality like I have never seen from any card I have ever owned.

Awards

just out of curiosity - how much did you mine overall so far ? ;)

So far I have mined about 160 LTC, 430 FTC, and about 150 FST. The only one worth much right now is the LTC, which until China banned crypto-currencies had skyrocketed to $40 per coin, but it is now down to a little over $20 per coin. Unfortunately we also had a very long streak of bad luck and it took almost 2 months to hit the last LTC block, otherwise I would probably have at least 200 LTC by now.

Awards

I'm gonna be getting a R9 290 for my rig as the as my hd 7560 is ok. I am also trying to make a pair of rig for my two oldest 2 kids who want on my rig all the time. If anyone hears (entertaining as it may be) the background when i'm on mumble you know it can be an issue.  I have the cases and BD and drive but need fairly decent video cards. I was in mumble not to long ago with someone (not sure who it was) saying the had a bunch of decent video cards some company insisted on buying but couldn't use once they had them and just ordered others and where possibly available to be donated. Any chance those are still around to get 1 or 2 (ill pay for them and ship if needed)? I also plan to get them their own Aurora's or similar so it is Star Citizen related rigs. 

Well I decided to build out a new rig and pass the the other one to my my son. My daughter has a (my last rig) dual core amd 64 with a fxf 7970. The one my son is getting (current rig) is an AMD 3.2ghz quad core 64 with a pair of sapphire 7970's in it. Both should let them fly an Aurora LN around. As for my  newrig I'm going with  ASUS M5A97 MB with an  AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 4.0GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W 8-Core CPU on it along wityh 12 gig  ram. I'm also going with  Kingston SSDNow V300 Series SV300S37A/240G 2.5" 240GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) for a boot and play disk. I have a 1tb Barracuda that will come from the old system as well.  Last but not least are the pair of Sapphire R9 290's for GPUs. I also got a case and  1000w psu to round it out. I plan to get  a pair of new monitors to go along with the one I have for a 3 screen set up.  This should be up and running Wednesday. :) These machines also will mine  crypto coins when no one uses them. 

Nice. You should be able to get about 720 khash per Sapphire 7970, either 550 khash with the XFX 7970 or the 720 khash of the Sapphires (depends on if you can use the Sapphire bios), and 770 khash per R9 290 (maybe more as I have a reference 290). That is some killer hashrate. Only problem would be the recent crypto crash, but I expect the currencies to go back up after they bottom out a little more. Really the crash is balancing back out after the ridiculous boom over the last 6 months or so. Awesome rig you will have though!

Awards

Thanks. Yeah the xfx is getting close to 540kh. Haven't set up the new rig and my sons rig just yet but I'm thinking it will be like you said. :)

after some tweaking with the settings all my 7970's are getting 675-710 KH each (3x) the r9's (2x) are pulling 910 KH each as well. A friend has also given me a 5970 that i will put in a pure mining rig. That card can get 850 KH it go with another card i had laying around (6750) that gets 210KH so it with my other machines will give a me a total near 5000KH for mining.  As for the R9's they run the hangar module like a dream. Can't wait for DFM to come out next month. 

Well I do not nearly have as much knowledge of these things as you guys do, but I sure do know how to put these suckers together, and wire manage them. I was thinking of starting a side company of making custom computers for folks. Currently, I have a high to mid range PC that I bought off of some Chinese kid in a parking lot. Here are the specs:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor (Normal Clock: 3.2 GHz)

RAM: 8 GB, Sector 5 DDR3 2GB X2 and one Corsair 4GB DDR3

GPU: NVidia EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB, GDDR5 Superclocked Signature 2.

MOBO: Gigabyte... Dont really know the exact model, but here is what it has.. Turbo 3D. Dual BIOS, PCI Express 2.0 x16, 4 RAM slots, 5 SATA ports, 7.1 Audio

Cooler: Corsair Liquid Cooler 4x4 Radiator

PSU: Antec 80 Plus 650Watt

HDD: Hitachi SATA 3.0 7200 RPM 1TB (looking to upgrade to a better HDD, or to SSD when I get a new rig)

EXHDD: Toshiba 500GB

Case: NZXT Case with three small and medium fans.

My Tower always stays cool because of its location, and because of the liquid cooling for the CPU. It is extremely quiet, even to the point where my wife and I can sleep with it in the room overnight.

Here is a list of my peripherals:

Mouse: Razer Mamba

Keyboard: Razer Deathstalker (Looking to upgrade to a Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth)

Mousepad: Razer Vespula

Gamepad: Razer Nostromo

Surround Speakers: Logitec 5.1

Headset: PDP Afterglow Wireless headset (looking to upgrade to Razer Tiamat 7.1)

For the most part, I am wanting to sell this rig when I save up some money, and then buy parts to build me a new one. I was thinking of getting an open-air case, but I am not too sure how well those work as far as cooling is concerned. I have an idea of what I want, but it is going to cost a pretty penny to get what I want. But this is all I got guys.. not really great, but it runs anything really well. It benchmarks pretty good. I wish I had a better motherboard.